+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zip cast review

Default zip cast review

Okay its been at least a year since this stuff has been out, how are your lines holding up with it? Just curious.

Thumbs up

Third year of use, and still think its the best line cleaner/treatment out there. If it was going to hurt my fly lines, I think I'd have seen it long before now. I have 30 some fly lines of various brands, and every single one performs better with Zip Cast applied to it - even the new ones right out of the box.

Thumbs up As Advertized

flybugpa ..........
    As advertized ZipCast does no damage to fly lines. It only improves them.
    A couple of days ago I decided to do some practice casting with my 5 weight.
    I dug out an old CFO reel that had an Orvis WF5F line on it that had to be 25 years old.
    I applied ZipCast and tried it out.
    That line shot better than it did when it was new.
    Amazing stuff.
    Some things ARE as advertized.
    Another item I can think of is Wonder Cloth.
    Brought some to Christmas Island last month and it worked just as they said it would.
    It cleaned the salt and crud off of my polarized glasses better than anything I have ever tried.
    From now on, there will be a patch of Wonder Cloth in the pocket of my fishing shirt.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

I have been using zipcast for at least a couple of years now. My lines are slicker than elephant snot. This has been the best line cleaning/treatment I have found. I dress my lines with it at least once an outing. I bought mine from Jerry (dotman) who is a sponsor here and all-around-good-guy.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Normand Guest

i didnt think it was the next best thing since sliced bread. completely wears off after a day of fishing. not what i expected. threw my bottle out.

Blog Entries

Smile Zip Cast & Fly Dots

Flybugpa,

Thanks for the reminder. I have been meaning to order me some Fly Dots for my reels, yes I do hate searching and digging for my tippet. The I noticed that this thread mentioned that Jerry at Fly Dots was also a distributor for Zip Cast and that got me to give Jerry a call and order 6 packs of Fly Dots and some Zip Cast as well.

I clean my fly line the night before every fishing trip and treat it with a line dressing. I have tried a number of line cleaner/dressings and have not been totally pleased. Sounds like this Zip Cast is what I may have been looking for.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Last edited by sagefisher; 04-27-2008 at 05:09 AM.
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

flybugpa,

I bet their lines are holding up just fine and even better in some cases. Especially with older lines. You can spend a little and get more service out of old lines and help keep your new lines, well like new.

normand,

I respect your opinion, like most all products out there; there are those who like and dislike them. In response to your post, we know ZipCast only lasts around a day of fishing and inform you of that. ZipCast does what we claim it does and tell you to apply right before each outing or at least every other outting for maximum benefits.

It is too bad you tossed that bottle because I have a 30 day money back guarentee and I would have refunded your money and then donated that bottle to someone.

Jerry
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

I'm happy with my Zip Cast as well. It is quick and easy to apply, so it's not a problem to apply each trip when I string up my rod. The line casts much better and I'm probably getting more mileage out my fly line.

I ordered a few dots with my ZipCast refill and have found them to be a handy addition as well. However, where do you put the mating half of the dot when you're out fishing? I have been leaving them on the reel, but recently lost one.

I leave my dot on the reel and if I loose one I just replace it with another. My favorite is the sierra bow.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

John,

I recommend you leave the Dot in your case while fishing so you won't lose it. Another alternative is to do what OhioTuber does and that is to attach it to some velcro on your vest; or just put it in a pocket. If your rod does not have a hook keeper, you can use the Dot as one by placing the fly on the pad and putting the Dot back on.

Jerry
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

+ Reply to Thread