+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Retain my title as "A Dorky Gampa"

"Thank You", to everyone! Sam was quite pleased to see, that other Fly Fish-er-nem liked her "fly idea" and her nice Trout.
    Sam names all the fish she catches, I don't know why, (probably a "girl thing" as she says her Dorky Gampa doesn't unner-stan"?),so this one was immediately christened "Uncle Joe". ("that makes yummy bread and lives far away"-her words).
    After she catches any fish and it's released, she waves to it, as it swims off and tells it, "Bye-Bye, (insert latest fish named, here)! Have a nice time!"

It also, appears, that Sammy's "family" is growing rapidly, as the MIFI draws closer. After catching this one, she asked me if "There are big fish'es like mine in Mish-Gin when we fish there, Gampa?"
    I told her, that "I don't have a clue, Peanut, we'll have to wait and see, I guess!"
    "I, bet, Uncle Jack or Uncle Mike knows Gampa! Tell, them we like big fish'es and maybe they know where some are, so we can catch them too!"

She very often reads posts here with me and those that make her laugh,or she notices that also post often in topics I'll be reading, she's begun to "adopt" as her "Uncle so and so".
    Sam's only, 6 of course, so I didn't want to create the wrong impression in her young mind, about "the skills and talents" of "The Fish Kicker" and "The Master of The Mossy", so I kept quiet.

As to this "Gold Fish", (Sam's name for her new fly, she's not too original, but as least logical!?), and to answer a few questions on it....... I'll make a posting in the "Fly Tying" forum, when the photos come off the camera.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Great story Paul, that is why I like FAOL. For these stories. But being from Maine. I'm wondering why this fly would be outlawed in Idaho

3. Default Dorky g'paw

I'm one too, but my g'daughter is a helluva fishin patrner. She throws a 3/4 wt like a prow & doesen't snivel about much except my cigars. One of these days I'm gonna loose her to some good lookin' guy but 'till then....? I love her to pieces!!! AIRBORNE

FB,

For a dork you are not so bad.

Nice story. Nice fly! Nice fish!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

This child has impeccable taste in whom she chooses to adopt. She has chosen the cream of the crop from NBOF. It's true that females are attracted to bad boyz, and old guys are an easy mark for cute kids.

Oh, and she might just be spoiled a little bit in Mish-Gin by her adopted uncles.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Talking

***************New "Fish - In" Rules************************
    Or, "How to avoid Dorkdom"
    1) Shave every day.
    2) Bathe/shower everyday (twice if need be).
    3) Slacks and shirts neatly pressed.
    4) Hair combed, if you have enough to comb.
    5) Socks that match (should be #!)
    6) Manners that would make your mother proud.
    7) Language of the type heard at church socials. (Ah Shucks is ok!)
    No loud boasting. Being sorry you caught the big one is fine.
    9) No falling down. especially in the evening!
    10) Keep your feet off the furnature.
    11) Always say Thank You or You are Welcome.
    12) Let St. Paul take the heat while we all act like the perfect non-dorky gentelmen that we are.
    13) Remember, 6 year olds have to go to bed early!!

Jack -

I suppose #14 is obvious ??? "After Sam is asleep, we can all be ourselves."

John
    The fish are always right.

Talking

Yes John but they also tend to get up early too!!
    We could also show up for dinner with jackets and ties while "The St Dork" sits there in a rumpled, sweaty, fish slimed shirt with zingers attached to his knife and fork.
    Of course we could let her observe the G rated portions of the "Canoe Hatch" (yes there are portions with an "R" rating)! Then she would know where the real "Dorks" are and return St Paul to his proper exhaulted position as just plain Grampa!
    "The Un-Dorking of St. Paul!". Hmmmmmmmmm.........!

Blog Entries

The Aluminium Hatch Parade of the 4th of July is really something to watch. I can stand not fishing much on the day just to watch the show.

+ Reply to Thread