+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to fly fishing tips?

Default New to fly fishing tips?

Hi I am both new to fly fishing and this site. I have been wanting to take a crack at fly fishing for some years now, but something always seems to get in the way. This year is the one. Now all i need is gear... I have some poles from my grandpa "Who loved to fly fish" and an old reel. They are both bamboo, will this be good for someone learning or should I invest in some new equipment? Also how do you know what wt line to use for these old poles? I am hoping to get a pole that i can fish panfish,trout and bass.

Thanks for any help

PS: This site is so nice for anyone just starting "there is so much good info" Thanks

K,
    Invest in a starter outfit, one that has rod,reel, and line altogether. Search your area for a flyfishing club and join up. There are always good people willing to help in a local club. Also find a local flyfishing store to do business with, most flyshop folk are willing to help you with the challenges of getting started and help troubleshoot some of the problems we all face when getting into a new sport. Certainly, hit your public library and check out a couple books on flyfishing basics. If you enjoy reading, you'll find the learning curve easier. Good Luck and Welcome!
    We're glad you're here, thanks for joining our community!
    Scott

Still a line on that old reel? How about some names for us. Names on the rod, reel, other numbers or letters. Thanks. Never know,,, you might be just fine.

Grampa's bamboo rods? If the wraps are still good, the varnish is intact and the ferrules are tight,, as JC said, you might be just fine. Any info on the rods would be a help, especially a series of letters like HCH or something similar was used for line designations.

Your other choice is to purchase a good, but inexpensive, starter set as Snowrach suggested. That way, rod, line and reel are all balanced.

Hang on to those bamboo rods that Grampa fished. They may very well be great fishing tools after all these years. If not, they can be refinished and fished again, or they are worth more than gold for the sentimental value alone.

REE

Hello K S. -

Just wanted to send greetings and extend a welcome from SE Idaho.

To be more specific about reading, besides all the good information on this site - "Fly Fishing for the Compleat Idiot" by Michael Rutter published by Mountain Press is a good place to start, if you can find a copy.

Enjoy your stay.

John
    The fish are always right.

KS, welcome to the site. Hang in there you will get a lot of good answers and good advise. There are a few boo experts here that I am sure can answer your questions. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

One rod is a Southbend the other is somthing king? The rods are at my parents so this is all info over the phone I'll post more as soon as I know. The reel is a Ocean City NO. 76 it must have been green at one point and it seems to work fine I rebuilt it a few days ago. There was no line on the reel. What is a good starter package if what i have will not work? and how much does a good one run?

KS,

Prices can be all over the place. You can get a servicable reel for as low as $30, a decent line for about $40. Rod prices can be shocking. Anything that is "this year's latest model" from one of the high end manufacturers is going to be rediculously overpriced. Personally, I'm not a believer in a beginner starting out with high end gear. It is more important to get a well-balanced outfit than an expensive one. There are lots of ways you can go, depending on the price range you're shooting for.

Whether you can or should use your inherited gear is a decision we can help you with once we get a better idea of what it is.
    Last edited by gadabout; 04-24-2008 at 12:34 PM.

As mentioned, those bamboo rods might range anywhere from absolutely elegant to pretty much unusable. Nature of the beast.

Either way, a bamboo rod is probably not the best tool to learn to cast with. At the very least you'll probably need a new line. Getting a line that balances an older rod is hard enough if you know what you're doing and often requires a bit of trial and error. If you don't know what a properly-balanced outfit supposed to feel like, that's gonna make it pretty hard.

I started fly fishing recently enough (~15 years ago) that I still remember the seemingly infinite number of variables involved in getting a fish to bite my fly (equipment, casting, fly selection, water selection, presentation, etc.) It takes a little practice and persistance to get everything dialed in. I think you'd be better off in the beginning by limiting as many of those variables as possible. Those older rods add uncertainty rather than reduce it.

Once you decide if you like this sport and get a little feel for it, you can go back and do some research on Grandpa's rods. At that point you'll be in a better position to evaluate what it will take to get them into fishing condition.
    Last edited by nb_ken; 04-24-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Schumacher View Post
    One rod is a Southbend the other is somthing king?
    Sport King... from Montgomery-Ward

Last edited by dudley; 04-24-2008 at 01:57 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread