+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As promised I took Amy bike shopping. Here is her new wheels:

nighthawk Guest

Default As promised I took Amy bike shopping. Here is her new wheels:

First we went to Target because the bike I bought there went on sale the other day. Target gave me the difference back. They didn't have the bike Amy wanted is stock so they gave us a rain check for it good until June.

We decided to stop a Wal-mart on the way home to look at the garden center. While we were there we took a look at the bikes. Glad we did because that bike she got had just been brought back by a customer and put up for resale at a very good discount. This is a more expensive bike than mine because it is made of high strength aircraft grade aluminum. Ever tried to smash the body of a Mag Lite? Darned near impossible to do. Amy is worth every penny and much more.

This is a men's bike but Amy was very comfortable on it. I must admit it is darned good looking too. Oh, the reason it was returned was it had a flat rear tire! Wal-Mart offered to replace the tube for me but that would have meant a return trip the next day. Instead I told them I could replace the tube. They gave me a new tube and a nice discount on the price! Sam Walton would be proud of that crew in his store.

While we were looking at the bikes Amy announced that she wants to go fly fishing on the fish for free days we have so she can see if she likes fly fishing. I am a lucky boy!

SUPER, Eric!!! Congrats, to you and OF COURSE , Amy!! I loved the part about(quote) "She's worth, more than that and a whole lot more", (end quote).
    It's refreshing to hear, a man declare his love for his lady, Eric, too many let their "Macho-He Man" B.S.get in the way!
    BEAUTIFUL bike!!! Too bad, she'll ride circles around an old #art, like YOU I bet!!!??! Then, when she discovers, fly fishing is fun................. she'll out fish you, before long also!! Ain't life GRAND!?!

Oh, yea, almost forgot............................... Please don't start referring to Amy as "My little PARSNIP", or "My lovely Buttercup", etc., GnuBee already has those terms patterned, I believe.
    Last edited by flybinder; 04-22-2008 at 10:57 PM.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

What was that movie....Oh yeah, I think it was "The Bridges on the River....WHY?"
    Nice looking bikes you two have. I know you'll enjoy them, & it won't be long before Eric'll be moanin' cuz Amy's out fishin' him!!
    Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Thumbs up

Hi Eric - Nice job on finding Amy's bike! You guys are gonna get a lot of miles out of those bad boys. I see you both have bar ends on your handlebars - I added them to one of my bikes, but didn't know what position to adjust them to until I found this (and it is good advise):

http://bikeline.com/page.cfm?pageid=100&tipid=52

Another thing a lot of cyclists don't realize is that they can do damage to their bikes by washing them improperly. Using a high pressure stream from your garden hose can wash the grease out of bearings, and lead to premature failure. Here's a great website that shows a safe way to care for your new rides:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=85

That Park Tools website is a goldmine of useful info for repair and maintenance of your bikes. It has saved me plenty of money, for sure! Keeping your tires inflated properly and maintaining a clean and properly lubed chain will go a long way towards keeping you out of the repair shop and out on the trails enjoying your new wheels.

NightHawk,

Although I don't look it I've been riding for a number of years and would just like to add that bike fit is very important for personal comfort. Heritage pointed to a couple of sites that can help. The most important setting will be seat height followed by handle bar height. I often see people with their seats way too low. This will eventually lead to knee pain and that could impact your fishing.

I just went out for short 15 mile ride tonight and it was most refreshing. Swallowed what looked like a Hendrickson. I'd like to confirm that but I don't think mayflies "process" the same as corn. Hmmm

You know those bikes would ride very nicely on Pine Gorge Trail. I'm just say'in is all..

Tell your wife to enjoy her new ride.

I like the blue globe
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Nice bike! I had a Mongoose with front and rear suspension on it when I was stationed in Jacksonville FL. I put a lot of miles on it and learned that when riding on a beach, the wet sand is much easier to pedal on. I hope I can get another one when I quit smoking... I hope you two enjoy yours a lot! And I hope you enjoy having a wife that wants to bike and possibly fly fish with you! It's rare to find a woman that will get into fishing.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

[quote=nighthawk;226528
    While we were looking at the bikes Amy announced that she wants to go fly fishing on the fish for free days we have so she can see if she likes fly fishing. I am a lucky boy![/quote]

What I would give to hear my wife utters those words. You are a lucky man Eric.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

nighthawk Guest

Thanks folks! Those web sites will be a big help too.

How about a photo of the two of you on those bikes together!
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

+ Reply to Thread