+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to Do When a Fish Gets Wrapped

Default What to Do When a Fish Gets Wrapped

First, we'll pause and laugh politely for the folks who will inevitably make jokes about bad Christmas or birthday gifts...

Now back to business. I had a large carp hooked legitimately get the leader wrapped around him recently, and he popped off without a problem (I know I should have been using heavier test line, but it was an opportunity fish, not a planned target). Anway, I still think I could have landed that fish if he hadn't had the line wrapped and I had more control of the situation.

So the question is, what do you do when a fish gets the line wrapped around them? Is there anything you can do?

In the past, when I've put on 20 lb test, I've been able to pull the line off by using straight pressure, but I think that was from luck more than anything else.

What do you folks do?

When I figure out a reliable way to get my fly and leader unwrapped from around tree branches; I might have a better answer for you on this one.

If I am in a position to extend the rod tip over the fish I may try some "unwinding" but for the most part it's up to the fish to comply and they usually don't.

+ Reply to Thread