+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to say no and be nice about it

Justice League Guest

Default How to say no and be nice about it

Ok here is my problem. I have a older man that keeps asking me to go fishing with him. Well he is a great guy but is rather stuck in his ways. He keeps every trout he catches and hates fly fishing. That is one reason he wants to take me fishing to teach me "the right way to fish" I have been with him before and hated every min of it becasue all he did was put down fly fishermen and catch and release fishermen. He would not even let me take my fly rod out of the car. The thing that tears me up is that I really do respect him other wise and he has always been kind to me (fishing not included). So how do I kindly tell him no.

I'd love to go fishing with you but I don't keep the fish I catch and I prefer to use my Fly Rod. Otherwise I just don't enjoy it. I will never see any reason to change.

Always go with the truth - this puts the blame on you not him. If he is offended that is his choice not yours.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

How about the direct approach?

Tell him you think he's a great guy and respect him, but it's obvious he wants to fish his way and you yours - and neither of you are likely to change.

And the conflict in different view points takes the fun out of going together.......

You can be better friends if you don't go fishing together.
    Just my opinion.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

nighthawk Guest

and be honest with him, always. He may be hurt at first but if he is a true friend he will remain a friend. If not, then no matter how much it hurts, you must move on with your favorite form of fishing.

Tell him about some of us. I keep some fish to eat, and I don't always fly fish. The Wyo. wind determines how a lot of times. But always be respectful of his opinion, just let him know that it is not yours.
    Last edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff; 04-22-2008 at 03:41 AM.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    and be honest with him, always. He may be hurt at first but if he is a true friend he will remain a friend. If not, then no matter how much it hurts, you must move on with your favorite form of fishing.
    Well said Eric....This past weekend, Grubb, Dot Man & I had a conversation about friends not judging & true friendship.
    JL....Just be honest & let him know there is no right or wrong...just different preferences.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

You could also try the reverse approach:

Since you said you respected the man and it seems that you like him, why don't you invite *him* to go fishing with *you*?

See if you can introduce him to the fly rod. That might be a turning point.

If he's dead-set against it, this probably wont work. In that case, just be honest with him.

Brian

Blog Entries

Justice...Tell him you hate 'worm dunkers!! HA!

I echo the sentiment of everyone else: Honesty IS the best policy. And, it's surprising how much people respect you for it.
    Works every time.
    Furthermore, this world needs more of it.

Take care,
    Bad Luck Larry

Move to another state. Just kidding! Be honest with him and tell him you would like to go fishing, but it will be the last time if he starts up again about flyfishing and catch and release.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread