+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooking 2lb fish with size 22/24 flies

Default Hooking 2lb fish with size 22/24 flies

The Trinity River in Northern California (where I live) has a great hatch of very small mayflies. They are probably size 26 or smaller, and very large trout (2 lb+) are gulping these mayflies.

I'm tying size 22 parachutes, which the fish are taking. I've hooked some huge fish (4+ lb.), but missed quite a few.

So what is the secret? Sometimes I'm looking somewhere else, the fish take my fly, I'm late on the set, and still I catch the fish. Other times they seem to spit it out before it goes into their mouth. BTW, I'm using barbless hooks.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Anthony

Offset your hooks. By that I mean bend the hook point so that the point points out somewhat to the left or right. I find that this helps improve hookups.

[This message has been edited by sjh (edited 13 September 2005).]

As I have been told, "Timing is Everything". If you try to set the hook too soon the hook can pull straight out of the mouth. If you are too late the fish may spit it out. There is usually a turn of the fish after it rises to get the fly and then the line is at the side of the mouth. That is when the hook set has the best chance of catching the fish's lip.
    See the rise, say "here i come" (or something like that, set the hook

jed

Hi Goby,

I just fished the trinity up by the dam labor day weekend. Had the same problem using #22 Pt's. Missed/lost more fish than I caught (caught at least 30) and these guys were the juvi steelies from 9-14" or so. I tied most of them on a TMC 200R which don't impress me very much as far as their actual hook point component is involved (I do love shank style tho). What type of hook are you using?? I think a standard size 22 should do alright, but I think there is a that chance component of the hook being in the right position etc.. to get a good hook up that cannot be accounted for as far as when is the best time to set the hook for real small sizes.

Jeff

I have had same problem also tried different hooks but offsetting them seemed to do the best on the standard dry fly hook. Found out when nymph fishing or using the standard PT I use either a 2488 or a 2487 scud hook works extremely well for the PT.

I find that a much softer rod works better for getting a hookset with microscopic flies.

I agree with Benjo. The smaller hooks will very easily rip through the trouts lips if you are using a stiff rod. When ever you go to smaller flies you most often also go to smaller tippets. The secret to landing large fish with small flies and thiner tippet is to have a rod that will give and obsorb the energy from the tippet, while bending enough to not rip the fly out of the trouts mouth.

------------------
    Best Regards

I agree with the above info.

Offset your hooks, debarb them, and get yourself a Winston 8'6" 3- or 4-weight rod.

You'll never look back.

Fred

I also find that a good cigar and a slug or two of either Single Barrel or Small Batch Bourbon or Single Malt Scotch helps calm your over-anxiousness .

DOWN STREAM HOOK SET!!!!I fish the San Juan River in northern New Mexico frequently. Catching 15-20 inch fish on size #22-#26 on 6X tippet is the norm. One of the best things you can do to help with your hook up precentage is to perform a downstream hook set. Try to always set the hook in a down stream direction.

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

+ Reply to Thread