+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip waders, and..

Blog Entries

Default Hip waders, and..

I returned a pair yesterday, and had to return another today. They were "Woods" brand. Anyways, same problem with both pairs. They ride and crowd the....."Package" area. Anyone find this to be a problem? I don't want to keep returning waders. I thought maybe this company just makes them a little too short. I have size 10 feet, so I got the 10 and had the issue so I returned them. So I got an 11, same thing. I don't want to get a 12 and find out I need to return those as well.

So yeah, is this an issue with a lot of brands or just the Woods brand?

My budget for waders is around $125 before taxes. Any suggestions?

Much thanks.
    Shane

I've never had a major problem with that happening...I have a pair of Albright waders I got on closeout and love them. I also just ordered a pair of Cabelas waist highs (They have models from $99-$179 in waist high) so I can't speak of their quality but they look great in the pictures. They might be worth a look...
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

If you're going to spend that kind of money, why not opt for a good pair of waist highs!?
    I haven't tried, "hippers" for years, still have a pair of neoprene ones tho' but never wear them.
    With the "waisties" I don't have to worry about that "one and only hole, deeper than the tops of the waders" and I'll ALWAYS find the ONLY wet rock/log/grass to sit down on, any place on the stream.
    If a hot day, you can also wear the waist highs as your only pants, too. Something with mere hippers, you might get arrested for doing in some parts!?!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have had the same pair of hip boots for close to twenty years and the only time I have a crowding problem is when they tend to push my jeans up on my legs when I put them on. I solved that problem for the most part by tucking my jeans into my socks before I put the hippers on. Like I said these hippers are about twenty years old and were probably made a little different back then. I bought a new pair a few years back because I wanted some light weight ones and I could tell right away they were going to fit the leg to tight to be worn with jeans on. They may have worked with shorts but I gave them to my brother who has skinny legs. I tried chest high waders for a bit but went back to the hip boots because with chest high I was wading out into deep water I had no buisness being in. The hippers I have are Redball brand that I believe was one of the first purchases I ever made from Cabela's and they were about 50 bucks back then. I don't know if Redball even makes waders anymore.

Rocky

I get the same thing with my hodgemen hip wader. They have the ability to be folded (rolled) and worn as boots. When I get to the water I unroll them and it doesn't seem to be a issue as when walking in them. You do have to be aware of the depth of water you are wading in. If not and its during the winter, you become an instant member of the polar bear club. What a shock.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Waisties? How are they held up etc compared to chest highs? I really like chest waders, as they allow me to move through deeper water. Not fish, but just get through it. But this crowding issue is a serious pain in the....Well, you get it haha.

I'll look into the waisties. Maybe I'll wait till Monday when I go shopping and see what the guy at the fly shop has. I just wanted to avoid doing that

Thanks a lot!
    Shane

Blog Entries

I see how they're held up!

Blog Entries

Really cheap pair of Cabelas with good reviews, ugly as me though haha. But I might go with those.

Thanks for the tips guys,
    Shane

For that kind of money you should buy a pair of breathable chest waders. The spey forum, no - not what they do to cats and dogs but rather a goofy kind of fly casting (don't tell the spey boys that I said that - joking of course) had a nice long thread going on top of the line waders. The Simms are always highly thought of but many of those guys were switching to the Dan Baileys. Then I found a good sale on the Dan Baileys and thought that I would pass it along.

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...x?CategoryID=4

Page 3, you will also need a pair of wading boots. Go to page 10 for the William Joseph wading boots for $40. Much better outfit than a boot foot pair of hippers. Good luck man.

Rick

Blog Entries

Thanks for link Rick. I don't know if it'll be in my price range after shipping and customs get a hold of it lol. I also hope they have stock left on Monday

Thanks again,
    Shane
    Last edited by OttoDita; 04-10-2008 at 10:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread