+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying spare lines

Default Carrying spare lines

Another newbe question:

I am canoeing in a couple weeks, I have two extra lines for my 6 wt but the spools the lines come on are poorly made and I don't have extra cartriges for my reel.
    What is a good way to carry spare lines?

Thanks
    Dan

I would wind it backwards on something round. Maybe a used toilet paper roll. Or you canuse this as a nice excuse for getting yourself a nice new reel with extra spools! lol

If there's a fly shop, near you, check with them. Don't know of any that don't have a box full of empty plastic fly line spools, they'd probably give to you!?!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The spools new fly lines come on can be dissassembled - front to back - to allow the line to come off coiled. Wind your spare lines backwards and take the front of the spool off. Carefully slip the line off the spool and wrap it with pieces of pipe cleaner or wire/plastic bag closers in 3 or 4 places. Put the restrained coil line into plastic sealable baggies - the bag wraps or pipe ceaners will rust if they get wet. Or you can use regular plastic tie wraps normally used on wire bundles. They are available at hardware stores. Just make sure you have something handy to cut the tie wraps with on the river. Have a friend hold the coils and carefully unwrap them as you wind the line on to the reel or you will have a mess. Maybe bring the plastic spool along to wrap up the line you take off depending on what you are going to do with it later.

My $.02

Godspeed,

Bob

Dan:

If the two "spare" fly lines are of the same brand, taper, style, condition, etc as the one on your reel; the likelihood you will need them is about zero unless your trip is 5 years long or you are fishing on coral reefs.

I therefore wouldn't worry too much about storing them in any special way since they will probably just be taking up valuable space in your canoe.

Thanks for the information.
    The lines are all different: floating, sink tip and full sinking, depending on the conditions we may troll, fish rivers or lakes.

Dan

I'm a little confused here....
    Since you state you are a newbie...let's be sure there's no mix-up.

If as you state..the lines are on new spools ...the backing end will be the first end you can access...if you take it off the spool and not onto a reel the leader end will become the first....not the way you want to put it on a fly reel.

8. Default

I would highly recommend you either get extra spools for your reel, or buy an extra reel or two ( even if they are $20 cheapies ), and spool the lines on before you go -- You'll be glad you did.

Changing lines in the field is a real pain, and time consuming to boot.

mAngler

Dannyboy;
    To save some time I'd load each line on the reel with the proper amount of backing then re-wind the line onto another spool. That way if you have to change lines you'll be starting at the end of the backing. You may even want to add the leader too.

mAngler has the perfect solution to the problem. Changing reels or spools in a canoe will be a lot easier and get you a lot more time in the water.
    Time in the water fishing = increased catching!

Thanks for the reminder on getting the line on correctly as they are WF lines, I would have messed that up for sure.

I'm thinking that buying a reel with extra spools and having them rigged up is the best idea.

Which decent inexpensive reel is the easiest to get extra spools for?

Thanks again
    Dan

+ Reply to Thread