+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Body Materials

Default Body Materials

I've been reviewing various types of "Body" materials used, mainly for jigs, and was wondering is there a preference using Chenille or Dubbing or visa-versa? Is there an advantage in using one over another? Both look like they'd do a real nice job and obtain a desirable effect.

Is this one of those personal preferences or is there a general "rule of thumb" on this ?

Thx's

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

I think most of us use chenille or a dubbing loop for thicker profile bodies while a standard dubbing noodle is good for thinner profile bodies.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

what is a "dubbing noodle" ... you kinda lost me on that one. Remember, novice beginner here
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

This is the basic process of a dubbing noodle from the fly tying terms:

Dub:
    Abbreviation of Dubbing, or to dub or dubbed. Process of applying fur to a waxed thread and then winding on shank to make a body form.
    Dubbing:
    Refers to a fur material, or mixture, or blend of furs, suitable to making fur bodies for flies. Also the process of twisting fur on to a waxed thread in order to make a workable substance for application as a fur body. Sometimes refers to the process of picking out hairs or fibers from fur bodies with a dubbing needle to form psuedo legs or to enlarge thorax areas of fly bodies. Other materials such as Kapok are also used as dubbing material.
    A dubbing loop consists of a loop of tying thread in which the dubbing material is placed and then twisted to trap the material and is then wound onto the hook shank to form the body.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Chenille is faster than applying dubbing, and/or, using dubbing loops.It also usually, holds its shape profile more consistently when wet.
    Most chenilles don't have to be reinforced, on the finished fly, to keep shape or strength.
    Dubbing however, (to me), properly applied.. is more natural looking, (not a huge deal on jigs),and one of it's biggest attributes is the endless colors available, both purchased or with the blends you can make yourself. The reinforced issue can be obtained by wire, thread, or using dubbing loops.
    You can taper fly bodies, very accurately, with dubbing where you really can't,( as well or as neatly), when using chenille.
    When tying up my "quickies", such as Wooly Buggers and Wooly Worms, etc. I'll use chenille, the rest I use dubbing.
    Unlike, chenille, dubbing even comes made from sinkable material, like finely shredded lead, in various colors.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for the info, as always, a big help. Gonna do some browsing through the archives here.

Mike

Smile

For jigs why not use a simple yarn ---Aunt Lydias "Sparkle Yarn" Adds the sparkle and I buy mine for 69 cents for 60 yards Great for Wolly Buggers also BILL

Being new to tying, I'm open to any suggestions I'll check that out for sure.

thx's

Mike

+ Reply to Thread