+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sylk Line

Default Sylk Line

I got my new "Sylk" line today and bumped into a dilemma while spooling up. How should I attach the leader? Is it best to attach a loop to the line or tie the leader directly to the line. Please tell me why you make your recommendation.

------------------
    Don

i dont have the sylk line (yet ), but i invariably use a nail knot to connect butt section to line, because i dont like loop to loop connections. they tend to cause drag in varying currents, sink the tip of my floating line, and snag in the tip top when playing fish on long leaders.

just my $.02

I also just spooled up some Sylk line. I will do like I do all other line - nail knot a 8-10" pc of 20# mono (cuz thats what I've got, 12-25 would probably be fine) to the fly line, a perfection loop in the tag end then loop 2 loop it. BTW on the knots I just discribed I coat those with some crazy glue but not on other knots in the leader.

For lines that have a woven core I strip off a few inches of coating and whip a loop into the end of the line. For those with a mono core I use the woven mono loop and whip the end of the chinese finger trap to the line and super glue it. Never had a failure on fresh or salt water useage. I try to avoid the woven monofiliament loop if I can because it is so big and clunky. I've done it all the other ways but ended up cutting off the other methods and going to the one described above.

+ Reply to Thread