+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A special treat for my bluegill friends

Jeff,

It must be my monitor, but when I click on the thumbnail it's hard to see the detail. Can you send me a dozen of each so I can see them up close?

Nice looking flies.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

FLIP FLOPS!!! Why didn't I think of that? I knew there was a reason I was hanging around on this site!!!! You're geniuses!! I just so happen to have some el-cheapo flops that were made in China and probably not lead free. Now to find them.... I'll be making these by the end of the day!!!

You should send me a dozen or so also, so I'll have a good idea of how to make them.... J/K
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

flip flops whoda thunk! the wife just cleaned out the closet, boy do I have a good supply of foam. THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE!
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Since it "appears" that I've started a movement to resurrect the past lives of old Flip Flops, one itty-bitty, piece of advice on that topic I left out earlier............

"When at your workbench and punching popper bodies out of an old pair of 3 layer, multicolored, "Flops" and the left "flop", is laying there looking like a screen door,there's so many "bodies" already removed from it and you're bride walks in, sees what you're doing then makes several 3/8" holes in your forehead with your punch.................
    MAKE SURE you've checked with HER FIRST after claiming the flops off the back porch!
    It's VERY POSSIBLE that she WASN'T done wearing that pair just yet.............. they were NEW...................and they "just looked "old", because she'd been gardening in them and hadn't washed them off yet.
    Very, quickly, your "cheap, nearly free, popper bodies" can suddenly cost you around $25.00 each, depending on the price you had to cough up for your "apology gift".
    Not, to mention, the bill from the ER to make those little "plugs" for the 3/8" holes in your forehead.
    Not ALL of us, "rule the roost, with an iron glove", the way Jeff does, remember! Be careful. Ask first!?!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Great looking poppers.
    I am tring to get a handle on the size - what is the length?

thanks
    Dan
    Dan,
    I sent a PM but just in case others were wanting to know,

The ones tied on on the #8 hooks average about 1.5" from hook eye to tip of tail.

The ones tied on the #6 hook range from 1.75 to 1.857".

Hope this helps.

Flybinder, thanks for the tip on the apology gift.
    Jeff
    Last edited by jeffnles1; 04-06-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Jeffnles1

Drilling them out works just fine. A good tip is to prepare a dishwashing soap mixture with water, don't need a lot of soap, to dip the cutting tube into before drilling. This makes the foam come out of the tube much easier.

RickZ,

I would appreciate seeing a picture of your punch set.

RickN

here are two pictures.

first the punch set

second the 1/4 and the 3/54 inch punches. s you can see how the 3/4 was turned down to fit the drill.

Rick

Don't forget our very own Jim Hatch's info and examples!!

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...082205fotw.php
    and
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...062606fotw.php

I have my setup like this close to the grill, and this time of year when I am grilling I bang out numerous bodies while the meat is cooking. (The number depends on the type and thickness of the steaks!)

As opposed to many people, I DO NOT punch out circular peices. I cut them into squares or rectangles and center them on the needle. Then just like on a lathe for wood, I 'true' them up before I start actually shaping. I wear safety goggles in case the needle ever breaks, as it does wobble pretty good when I first start sometimes.

Be safe and have fun tying!!
    Don Rolfson

+ Reply to Thread