+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Parasol emergers

Default Parasol emergers

I've seen parasol emergers and dandelion emergers in various catalogues this spring. These are like a PTN with a short segment of monofilament superior and at aright angle to the hook shank and and topped with a tuft of polypropylene or a palmered dry hackle.

Does anybody have any experience using this type of fly?

Blog Entries

Smile

I thought they looked interesting but I also thought that they would tangle up during the cast. I sure could be wrong on that one.

http://hipwader.com/2005/tying-the-parasol-emerger
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I've tied and tried parasol emergers. They don't tangle when casting, at least mine didn't. I did not manage to hook up when fishing them though.

REE

I have fished them, haven't hooked anything on any of them yet. I finally stopped bothering when a guy at the fly shop convinced me to just do the same thing with a dry/dropper rig.

The dry/dropper has the flexibility of adjusting the distance on the dropper fron a few inches to a few feet to fine tune the depth of the emerger and the dry fly has it's own hook just in case the fish hits that first.

They've worked for me in lakes but only when the fish were keying in on emergers close to the film. This post reminded me that I really should tie some more and fish them a bit more seriously this year. Hardly a magic bullet, but a fun pattern to tie and can be quite effective.

I used to tie these - before you could buy them. The indicator is made from shrink tube and antron yarn or closed cell foam. You tie a slip knot on the end of the mono and loop around the hook eye or behind the bead of a nymph. I used to carry various lengths in a little box and I could loop any length on to any fly. I have caught fish on these but I prefer a fresh water shrimp tied off a dropper on the shank of a grass hopper. Seems to work better. The hopper is an attractor and the smaller ones hit the shrimp on the way back down. Good for entertainment when nothing else is going on an you want to spend a nice sunny summer day on the stream.

Godspeed,

Bob
    Last edited by Bobinmich; 04-01-2008 at 11:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread