+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nymphs

Default Nymphs

I've long been intimidated about using nymphs because of their very tiny size. Should I be, and are strike indicators absolutely necessary? Would a beginner on nymphs be better off trying to develop a feel for the strike rather than depending on using indicators?
    "Man is a complex being; he makes deserts bloom and lakes die." ~ Gil Stern

Nymphs aren't always tiny. They vary in size as much as the aquatic bugs we match with dry flies, 'cause they are the same! If you don't like the idea of using an indicator, or need to fish itty bitty nymphs, try dropping one off the bend of a dry fly with about a foot of tippet material. The dry is your indicator, and often catches its share of fish.

Chuck

Westgebo,

You shouldn't be intimidated by nymphs or any other subsurface fly. Trout (and any other fish) spend the vast majority of their time feeding under the surface, so learning to use nymphs, wets, spiders, etc would be well worth your time. As far as the size issue goes some aquatic insect stages can be rather robust. Your best bet is to get familiar with the insects that live in your area. You don't need an advanced degree in entomology just ask around the local fly shops, check with other fisherman you meet on the stream, or consult some on line hatch charts for your area for information about local bugs.

As far as using indicators goes, I think for someone just getting started with nymphing they can and are a benefit and I would encourage you to try them. I also think there's a benefit to learning to nymph without them but indicators are a pretty good tool for letting you know when you need to set the hook.

Best of luck.
    Joe Bertolini

Westgebo -

Your question is a bit too large to fit in this little box.

Let's start with something more specific. What kind of water are you fishing ? Stillwater or moving ? If moving, small streams or middle sized rivers or big rivers ?

Generally, nymphs range from size 22 and down for some midges, to size 4 and up for some stoneflies. In between are a whole range of sizes, shapes and colors depending on what is in your local water.

Generally, indicators* help not only detect the strike, but also keep your drift closer to drag free by telling you what is probably going on under the surface with your nymph and letting you mend when necessary to maintain a more natural drift.

Indicators can also help you position your nymph at the depth you want it in the water column. That's hard to do without some form of indicator.

On very small water where you are sight fishing with nymphs, fishing without an indicator can be very effective and a lot of fun. But if you are on big water fishing at some distance out, you'll be hard put to detect a strike. Lots of options on the in between size water.

One thing is sure, almost everyone who writes on the subject says that 90% of a fish's diet is taken under the surface ( that would be larva, pupa, nymphs, emergers - in other words, nymphs and wet flies ) and 10% of the diet comes off the surface ( duns, cripples, and spinners - dry flies ). There is some variation in those percentages by species, in my experience. Cutthroat are much more likely to come up for surface food than browns, for example, and brookies, around here at least, seem to be very aggressive to any food form at any level in the water column.

So, if you want to catch more and bigger fish, you should seriously consider fishing nymphs.

If you want some more specific information to work with, clarify and narrow your question to the kind of water you expect to fish with nymphs, the time of year, and the species of fish you are going to target.

John

*To me, an indicator includes any form of dry fly used with a trailing fly, dry or wet or nymph, or an artificial floating material like foam or yarn.
    The fish are always right.

Default Nymphs are easy

Westgebo - Nymphing is fairly easy, it has to be because I have caught a lot of fish doing it. My eyes aren't the greatest, so I don't use anything smaller than a 14 and usually it's a 8,10, or 12. Also, I use buggers and strymphs in the 4 to 8 range to "nymph with. My best Steelie came on a #10 Black Bugger and my best Brown came on a #6 Strymph.

Highsticking - no indicator. Enough split to get the fly to the bottom, add 1st split shot 4-6" above the fly, and then every 4-6" as needed. Hold the rod high, cast upstream, and move the rod with the speed of the water you are fishing. Set the hook EVERY TIME you think you feel a fish, yes, you will lose flies in the rocks and if you aren't, you are not fishing deep enough.

Indicator - same split shot location. Depending on the flow, place the float 1-1/2 to 2 times the depth of the water you are fishing. If the water is very fast you might have to go longer. Again you are looking to drift at the same speed of the current.

You just keep making floats through the hole and keep lengthening the leader until it feels right, i.e., you are clicking bottom. I use a 9' leader for all my nymphing.

You want the fly to be ahead of or with the shot. This can be achieved by mending or the reach cast.
    http://www.expertvillage.com/video/1...hing-reach.htm

After you get these few basics down, it's just a matter of practice. Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread