+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Weight Rod ???

Default 7 Weight Rod ???

Where does the 7 weight rod fit into the skeem of things? Too big for trout, too small for salmon or good for both? I am thinking of getting one for small salmon rivers and might use it for an extra trout rod. Am I on track or out to lunch, opinions please.

How about LMB & SMB...and light saltwater!

I like a 7-wt a lot for bass and windy conditions.

I wish I could find one without a fighting butt, though, in the under $200 category. Seems to be 8-wt is a good start for fighting butts...

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:d8fbe]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:d8fbe]

Roger,
    Beleive it or not, I have a 9'-7wght, graphite. It was made by, of all people, Diawa. It doesn't have a fighting butt, and I like that about the rod. But,they didn't have a grasp of how guides should look. They are almost closed to the flow of the fly line. I keep planning to take the old guides off and replace them, but something else always gets in the way. I have a DT7F line just waiting for it. In the old days, all the production bamboo people mass produced 7 weights. Folks like Montague, Heddon, Southbend & others. They worked great for everything from Crappie to Bass. Many a trout were fried by falling victim to there offerings of fur and feather. I'll bet they still work just fine. I can hardly wait to see how mine works.

------------------
    He Knocks. You Only Have To Ask.

5. Default

Leo M - As with response from Ursus I also use & enjoy 9' 7wt for steelhead or big browns on Lake Erie tribs. Rod has the fighting butt. I'm new to fly fishing (second season - and new to this site) but love it and the 7wt works well for me for larger fish.

------------------
    No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care

Leo M

I have a a 7wt in 8 1/2' made on a Rainshadow blank that works great for large streamers and large bass poppers. It is also a very good rod for the freshwater stripers or "rockfish" as we call them here in Tennessee. I agree with you that it is entirely too much rod for trout in the 12" to 20" size.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

My salmon/steelhead rod and overall lake rod, is a St. Croix LU 907. I love the rod, and use it for the hex hatch and for Lake Michigan trib salmon/steelhead fishing. I pulled in a 36", 26 lb, chinook with this rod last fall with no problems. Just make sure you fight the fish to the side instead of overhead as in normal trout fishing. I have to say that I like the fighting butt.

Funny thing; about 25 years ago Orvis used to sell a rod; 8'6" 7wt that they called the "All Rounder". I guess now days the small trout have gotten smaller or the rods have become smaller, (see 1wt thread).

Too much rod or too little rod the choice is yours but IMHO a 7wt is still a good fishing rod and not a bad trout rod either.

Leo;
    Just sent you a message. I have an 8 1/2' 7 wgt. rod you are welcome to for the cost of shipping. I also have a DT7F line that has never seen water that I'll throw in. It's a Shakespeare Ugly Stick that's been hanging on the wall for 2 - 3 years.
    I'm going with rods that I've built and plan to build a 8 - 9 wgt. for the big ones.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Hey Rog,

I use an EagleClaw 2-piece 8ft. fiberglass 6/7wt. that doesn't have a fighting butt. Great all around warm water fly rod .

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

+ Reply to Thread