+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1495 medalist?

Default 1495 medalist?

Hello all I got a wonderod 7'9" that does well with a dt7 can a 1495 hold it and a little bit of backing?. I tried a 1494 but it would't fit.
    Janus

According to their liturature... maximum DT is #7 on a 1494 1/2......#8 on the 1495.
    nam

I use the 1495 (and also a 1595 spool for sinking line) on the 1495 and although it is WF7F, there is about 100ft of backing, so you should be fine.

If you don't know already - put the line one the real first and then the backing until the reel is filled to about 1/4" from the rim. This ensures the correct amount of backing. Remove the backing and line (by winding taking it off the reel as you go around some furniture or a couple of trees in the yard. Then attach backing to reel and wind all on correctly. This is the best way to ensure it comes out right.

Would anyone know by looking at this photo if this one could be converted to LH retrieve the seller says it is a diamolite..
    Last edited by Janus; 11-22-2008 at 10:26 PM.

A 1495 will hold plenty of backing with a DT7. The only concern you should have is whether it will be too heavy if your rod is a modern light graphite.

No its a fiberglass wonderod ...on the heavy side.

Janus, you are in for a wonderful treat. The reel does NOT have rim control on the drag. The first 'real' fish you get hooked will rattle your teeth. Today's modern 'toys' make playing a fish a bit simple. You will not be so encumbered.

Castwell I have been using a 1494 for quite awhile now. But , it is a bit small for the line I need on this rod (dt7) so I have to move up. I know what you mean about the teeth rattling. It's an enjoyable kinda abuse.
    Janus

The last fish I caught on one of those reels was an 8 pound steel head. Had a wonderful, and very memorable. time. Does it take more skill to play fish on that type of reel? Yes, I do think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    The last fish I caught on one of those reels was an 8 pound steel head. Had a wonderful, and very memorable. time. Does it take more skill to play fish on that type of reel? Yes, I do think it does.
    Absolutely...You can lose a finger trying to slow that spool.

+ Reply to Thread