+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Montana fishing options?

Default Montana fishing options?

Planning a trip to Montana this summer. Will probably be driving across the state, basically from Southeast to Northwest but exact route can be pretty flexible. A friend and I will be hiring a guide for a day of float fishing once we get to the Northwest part of the state. However, will spend a few days and nights getting there.

Anyone have any suggestions as to specific places for a couple of 2 or 3 hour unguided "outtings" to stop at on our way? Maybe some places where we might stop for the night and get in a couple hours of fishing before bed time or some places where we can stop when we just need a break from driving for a couple of hours during the day.

Thanks.

There are so many options that my head starts to spin, and I live here. If you are taking I-90 you will be going by some great fishing within a short time from the interstate. I suggest getting John Holt's books on Montana trout streams. There are two books, one for the east side of the big hills and one for the west. These books along with a Montana Delorme Gazzeter will get you started. Many of the access points have campsites, so you can camp and fish in one place.

The obvious big three that come to mind starting in the southeast are the Big Horn, then the Madison and then head north to the Missouri. You will also be driving along the Yellowstone from Billings to Livingston, about 120 miles of river. However, the Stone down river from Livingston can be much tougher to wade fish.

All along the way there are too many smaller streams to mention. That's where Holtz's books can come in very handy. There are lots of wade fishing options along the Madison and Mo.. One thing that almost all of us have done is to spend more time driving than fishing in Montana. It is a huge state and there are many miles of both highway and trout water between the Horn and the Northwest corner.

Another option would be to head down to Twin Bridges. There you will have easy access to the Beaver Head, Big Hole and the Jefferson. These are long rivers too though and you can spend hours driving them.

Plan ahead and don't try to do it all and see it all on one trip. Pick some water and spend some quality time there. Like I said, it is very easy to drive a couple hours, then find out to stay on schedule that you have very little time to fish.

Have a great trip!

Default Re Montana Fishing

Well, I second Flybop's statements. You will be passing some great fishing water. If you want to catch big fish hit the Madison, depending on the time of year the browns are pretty nice. I usually get skunked on the madison but i bet that is more a lack of skill than an issue with the fishes. The Gallatin, in Bozeman right off I-90, is always productive with 4 or 5 fish an hour not rare if you know the fly they are hitting on (recently Red San Juans, if anyone wants to fish it let me know) or the east gallatin is slightly less productive but there are some enormous trout in there for the size of the river. You could also do some stillwater fishing at flathead lake or head a bit south and hit Hebgen, but thats the southwest part of the state. I have heard stories of people pulling huge fish out of there but have never made the time to fish it myself. The Mo is exactly what you would think fishing wise. and the Jefferson has the potential to pull big trout out, but they are pretty durn finicky.

If you can though, pull off the interstate and fish the yellowstone. Thats a necessity. If you decide to fish in or around Bozeman, give me holler and I will try to help you out with flies and whatnot if you dont want to check the local shops. Montana Troutfitter rocks, by the way, if you want fishing reports or area fishing maps.

What time of year are you coming out to montana?
    And where are you going to spend your time?

If you just want spots to fish for 2-3 hours that are seperated by a couple hours along i-90 i can offer more suggestions threw PM of some smaller streams as well but here is a general guide to fishing along i-90

Tongue River(just inside montana border)- good smallie and rainbow fishing once you get out of the canyon.

Bighorn River-nough said

Stillwater River(30 miles west of billings)- fair number of public access sites, average montana river

Boulder River(halfway between billings and bozeman)- Not very many access sites, but would be my recomendation for a 3 hour stop right on i-90 if you dont mind wade fishing below the highwater mark(moderatly easy on this river)

Yellowstone River- yep

Gallatin, Madison, Jefferson - Not going to comment a ton, but the Gallatin below manhattan is less than a mile from i-90, and while the fishing can be tough, its where i go when i want to cast(key word) to predominently 4lb+ fish. I think 90% of the fish i catch out of this stretch go over 20". However in the last 10 times i fished it i might have 7-8 fish to my name.

Boulder River(halfway between butte and bozeman, near whitehall)- smaller stream with some public access near i-90, I have never made it around to fishing this, but i know there are access sites near i-90, there is also another stream that feeds into it this, that you can see from i-90 as well, i know that this also has public access sites close to i-90, just never fished it.

Clarks fork(just north of butte)- at the headwaters of clarks fork there are some settling ponds, to help fix the water quality of the clarks fork, these ponds are catch and release only, but a coworker caught a 26" out of there a couple years ago, i have never fished them, but have heard nothing but good things. I much prefer stream fishing, even if it is to smaller fish, and the very upper part of clarks fork(within 10 miles of those ponds), is closer to stream fishing than river fishing. And there is quite a bit of public access along this river as well, as it travels down i-90, but it picks up steam fairly quickly.

Thats about as far as i travel west. Like i said though if you are interested in smaller streams in this area as well, pm me and let me know which area specifically and i can see what i can do to help you out.
    Last edited by MTSkibum; 03-26-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll do a little research on some of your ideas and see how that may fit into our travel plans. Thanks again!

Call Dan Baileys (Livingstone), ask about the 'spring creeks'.

If you get up the interstate through Missoula, you must stop at a fly shop and inquire.There are several very fine fisheries in the area to include "Rock Creek, Clark's Fork, Bitterroot.
    MW

+ Reply to Thread