+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on child safety on the water

nighthawk Guest

Default Need advice on child safety on the water

A buddy of mine has a beautiful little girl that is 2 years, 7 months of age. This little girl is daddy's girl if you know what I mean. She has two older brothers and a baby brother but she is the one that will spend rainy days on the water and frosty days on the deer stand with her daddy.

Most of the fishing that will be done with this ambitious little girl will be bank fishing on still waters. My buddy is understandably worried about her going into the water. I suggested teaching her how to swim, classes and so on, and buying her a personal flotation device.

Now, it has been many moons since I had a youngster of my own on the water and my buddy has never had one this young out there. He asked me what type of flotation device would be best for her and I decided to ask you folks. There are so many of them out there. I told him we need to find one that is as comfortable as possible.

We were also talking about possible fly fishing rigs for her that she can grow into. If you folks have any suggestions on a P.F.D. and or fly fishing gear for this little fisher gal please post them. It is much appreciated.

By the way, my buddy has some fly fishing experience and is known to visit this site. Perhaps this will help him take the plunge and post on the BB instead of just lurking. I keep trying to talk him into getting all of the kids involved. He was worried that I would not like having to chase after the kids all day instead of fishing. I told him I have done it before and would love to do it again.

Eric;
    First, get your friend in here and on the BB, instead of his "lurking", or tell him "We'll hunt him down and drag his sorry behind in here"!! If he's a friend of YOURS, I'm positive he's not only a good fishermen, but also as nuts as a bell house bat and that's OUR KIND of people!!

As to your actual post............. if you've read any of my "Fishing with Sam" posts, where my 6 yr, old granddaughter and I go fly fishing together, you've noticed I've mentioned her "life jacket" here and there.
    Since Sam is "smallish" for her age bracket, her dad and I couldn't find a decent "true" life jacket for Sam, by shopping the many box stores and even several sporting goods outlets. Neither of us wanted her wearing "Little Pink Princess", or, "Scooby Doo" on her life vest, because when studying those, they were all for "playing IN and AROUND water" and did not specify actual "flotation times", "position of the child's body, if/when they fell in, etc.".
    Some life jackets, even properly strapped on, can flip a small child upside down, when they hit the water, because they're built for comfort so the child will wear them. (they look like man's "dress vest" for lack of a better description).
    One day, while out, I had one of my stranger ideas and Sam and I swung by our local Coast Guard station, here, at the beach. They were extremely helpful, in telling me what sort of like jacket was best for Sammy, for why she'd be wearing it, etc.
    We ended up getting her a "Stearns Child White Water" vest.(I'll get the actual model/style # and name and post it for you, as soon as I can contact my son and have him give me the info).
    It's a bit "bulky", because of it's flotation properties, but not so bad, Sam doesn't mind wearing it. The most important point to her vest, is it immediately-- upon her entering the water, "flips her upright and supports her head and neck out of the water", no matter how she "entered the water" to begin with.
    It has "crotch straps", very important, so it doesn't "ride up" on her small frame and/or, she won't "sink down into it" when in the water. The straps go all the way around the jacket, also, so it fits her equally front and back, snug wise.
    We also picked one that was short enough also, so Sam can kick her legs, and move her arms freely. (Sam's been able to swim, like a duck, since age 2). If a child's life vest is "too long", even if it has good neck and head support, it can actually put them on their back, or worse yet, on their face. As the Coast Guard Captain told me, "You don't want the child "encased like a hot dog in a bun" when wearing their life jacket!"
    He told us, to fit Sam's life jacket, "so it comes to about 2inches above her waist. or, AT her waist, as the very most".

As for fly fishing................... sorry, I can't be of much help, because I didn't start Sammy, (along with her dad, too, another avid fly fisher), until she was just turning 5. When she showed enough interest, though, I built her a rod from the tip of a butt broken rod I had and converted it to an approximate 3wt.It's a fraction under 4' long, with cork and wood reel seat and grip. Because of her strength or agility I guess you could call it, I over balanced the butt end with a Tioga #2.
    The reel, makes the rod a little heavy in the handle, but that works great for the way Sam casts. I also made her a custom headed WF3/F line, to help load the super short rod a bit easier.
    I'm not too sure, what your friend could do, with a 2 year old, equipment wise, but it's super she's already showing so much interest!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

My oldest grandson is turning six in a couple of weeks but I started taking him fishing when he was three. We actually starting with an underspin outfit which I feel is much easier for a child to use than the typical spincast outfit. He just started fly fishing at age five but I'm sure he could have started sooner.

I started him out with a small 5', 2 wt outfit but I used a 3wt line for easier loading. The shorter length made it easier for him to carry around without getting caught on too many objects. We mostly flyfish for panfish/crappie in ponds and small streams. I started with a casting practice game in the backyard using cones as targets. It took all of about 5 minutes before he could hit every target at 15' so I'm not sure any practice is necessary but the game was fun.

As for water safety I only put a PFD on him when we were bass fishing from a boat. If we fished deep, fast moving stream (e.g. Delaware River) I would have considered having him wear a PFD. Most of the streams we fish are smaller and in the beginning I didn't do any fishing.

Yes, there is some risk whenever you are close to water. Everyone must decide what level of safety is sufficient. For such a young child you will probably be limited to bulky PFDs that strap up between their legs. You still need to keep a close eye. A small child can fall into shallow water a drown even with a PFD. Heck, so could you if you hit your head.

Oh, don't forget to pack plenty of snacks and drinks. I also plan most of my trips near other places of interests like playgrounds, parks, and ice cream parlors. Most of our early trips were 15-30 minutes of actual fishing. The rest was snacking, chasing frogs, riding bikes, ...

Kids are a lot of fun as long as you don't have any preset expectations. Just fish as long as they are interested then move on to something else.

Have Fun!

PFD as flybinder suggests is the way to go for optimum protection, flip upright and keep the head above water with the floatation behind the neck and head, straps between the legs so the PFD doesn't float up while on the body.
    Steve

Deezel Guest

This is a joke, right?

If not, to be perfectly blunt, tell your friend to seek counseling before someone calls Child Protective Services, or worse.

Deezel

We use for our grandson the exact pfd that Paul stated for our grandson. The straps between and around the legs is very important. Anytime he went near water he had to wear it and never complained.

Deezel,

I don't think taking every precaution to protect your childs life is a joke.
    Steve

Deezel Guest

rookie,

You're missing the point. No child of that age should be 'unnecessarily' placed in certain circumstances like the ones mentioned. Is it the 2.5 year old child or is it the parent whose desires are being met? Now, I'm not talking about teaching the child how to swim or the need for a PFD. As soon as possible in the former and definitely in the latter. My daughter learned to swim before she was 1.5 years old. My son was a little older when he learned. I had no quams about taking either of them to a controlled situation, like a small pool or, at most, a larger pool where I or a competent supervisor would be observing and could intervene if necessary.

Taking precautions for the child in any given situation is not a joke. Placing the child in certain situations however, is another story and the word 'joke' doesn't cover it.

Deezel

Sorry Deezel. I have had this headache for about the last 4 weeks that won't give up. I guess I didn't read into what you were saying very well. My sincere apologies.
    Steve

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Deezel View Post
    rookie,

You're missing the point. No child of that age should be 'unnecessarily' placed in certain circumstances like the ones mentioned. Is it the 2.5 year old child or is it the parent whose desires are being met? Now, I'm not talking about teaching the child how to swim or the need for a PFD. As soon as possible in the former and definitely in the latter. My daughter learned to swim before she was 1.5 years old. My son was a little older when he learned. I had no quams about taking either of them to a controlled situation, like a small pool or, at most, a larger pool where I or a competent supervisor would be observing and could intervene if necessary.

Taking precautions for the child in any given situation is not a joke. Placing the child in certain situations however, is another story and the word 'joke' doesn't cover it.

Deezel
    This is not a joke and at no time will this child be put into a situation where her safety is any more at risk than it is by sharing the highway with the likes of you and me. If this is how you intend to judge then you really put your children into one of the most dangerous places you could have just to take them to their swimming lesson, your automobile!

I take it as a very personal insult that you would judge my friend or myself so selfish as to put a child in that kind of jeopardy! Actually I feel sorry for you and your children. By keeping your children sequestered at that age you deprived your kids and yourself of some of the best times in life.

If you knew the least little thing about myself or my friend you would see how wrong you are in your judgment.

+ Reply to Thread