+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cheap Tinsel, Available only a Few Days

Default Cheap Tinsel, Available only a Few Days

Hi All,

I recently bought some nest building material from a dollar store and from Walmart for use as tinsel. One package is metallic red and the other metallic pink. The pink is such a light shade that I plan to use it as pearlescent for flashback. They had some metallic gold that I should have bought but didn't, and now they are out of it.

I haven't tested the pink (Walmart) yet, but I tested the metallic red from the dollar store, putting it in water for a while, then scraping on it. It did well, the color and the metallic sheen standing up and not coming off.

I like it better than the stuff from fly tying shops (that comes on a spool), because it stretches more easily, enough to make it easier to use. It is a large bag for $1 to $2 before Easter.

If you buy the stuff now, the next few days after Easter, you can probably buy it for a song.

Regards,

Gandolf

Default Tested the Wallyworld Stuff

Hi All,

Well I tested the Wallyworld stuff, and it is acceptable, but not as good as the stuff from the dollar store. It did well on the water test, and it also stood up well to being scraped with a finger nail, but it didn't stretch as well as the other.

It is acceptable, and probably as good as the stuff I have bought at fly shops, so I will probably use it when I get around to tying flash back pheasant tails. Hope to find more of the stuff at a dollar store, and will check them this week.

Regards,

Gandolf

+ Reply to Thread