+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight on the leader question

Default Weight on the leader question

In nymphing, it's often recommended that you add two or three small shot each spaced an inch or so apart on your leader rather one large shot. That's what I do.

But, I'm not sure I understand why -- unless the reason is that it's easier to fine tune how much weight you're using. And why space them rather than bunch them up?

Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm the type that has to understand why, and I would appreciate some help on this one.

If you have an answer -- thanks!

By spacing out the shots you allow for several things. You can better maintain the integrity of the loop which inturn alows for better line control, accuracy and proper roll over of the fly. It also allows for a better float and or drag of the fly to help introduce and/or maintain a more natural life like presnetation. You can also better maintain a straight mid column float in faster water where you need to get the fly down qickly.

With several properly spaced shots the fly will sink to your desired depth and the water friction, on the exposed tippet/leader will push it up in sections helping to maintain a more controled and straight lined balance of the fly in faster water, at your desired debths.

Best Regards...

[This message has been edited by BenC (edited 05 September 2005).]

JC,....

To some it's "cheating", ... but ... to Each their own.

Just remember, ... on Quebec Salmon Waters, ... It's Illegal! ... Check your regs when you travel

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:7431c]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:7431c]
    Christopher Chin

Gee, I just learned this nymphing thing, too. The rationale as to why it might be considered cheating is lost on me.

In those places where it is illegal, I think the rationale is that waterfowl have a tendency ingest the lead shot, which is obviously toxic. That I can understand. I probably have some lead shot somewhere, but mostly I use the Tin replacement.

BFB,

On Salmon rivers up here, ... it's to keep down the poaching where an unscrupulous anger would try to snag a fish or otherwiae "place" the fly right in a salmon's mouth

p.s. ... not cheating in my eyes ...

------------------
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:5b3dc]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:5b3dc]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 05 September 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

Chris,

I agree,using shot, weighted flies or whatever it takes to get the fly down to the fish's feeding level is anything but cheating. It just makes good sense. It's too bad there are so many unscrupulous anglers who would stoop to snagging. I mostly use sinking lines and often fling some sort of weighted fly. I was disappointed that I couldn't use any of those flies when I was down East salmon fishing. There are some who would like to see sinking lines banned as they think that type of line could be used to snag.

I can, however, understand the ban on weighted flies as the salmon have to be coaxed into taking a fly as eating is not high on their agenda when they enter the rivers to spawn. With the frustration of seeing big unco-operative salmon lying in a clearwater pool the temptation to snag or line a fish would be too much for some to handle.

------------------
    "...whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

Hey Speck, ...

IMHO, ... the weighted flies for Atlantics really aren't need. In some conditions, ... an ST line is helpful, ... but only on really BIG water.

From my limited experience, when our friend Salmo salar WANTS to take the fly, he'll readily come out of the depths to do it.

We like to discourage the use of ST lines too in all but the most extreme conditions, ... not because of poaching, ... but because of purely accidental snags.

An over excited angler will feel a slight tug, and set the hook. Unfortunately, ... what he felt was his fly dragging over a trout ... I've seen it often enough and KNOW it WAS accidental.

------------------
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:1914b]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:1914b]
    Christopher Chin

JC, ...

I don't have a problem, ... as I prefer dries ... the split shot would kind of defeat the purpose of those nice pointy hackles

Most folks here only use floating lines now.

heck, ... our friend Katrina dumped over 8 inches of rain on us (in 18 hours), ... we lost some bridges and roads. River came UP 5 feet in a flash, ... and we were getting salmon to rise to dries yesterday afternoon ... Such a "drag" to cast anyway those ST and Full sink lines.

------------------
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:8d65a]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:8d65a]
    Christopher Chin

I agree with you 100% JC. If one knows how to ty, they should ty their flys so that they best simulate the natural. This includes the life stage of that natural and the required weight should be built into the fly.

I too are primarily the dry fly type but for those that don't ty their own flys, the use of shots may be required with subsurface patterns . If so, properly spacing the shots "may" help dampen the counter effects on a given particular fly.

------------------
    Best Regards

BigFlatBrook:

I don't weight my nymphs so that I don't have to tie weighted AND un-weighted versions of the same fly with the exception of bead heads.

Adjusting the weight on the leader gives me the option of getting the fly to the depth I want at the SPEED I want. I use soft lead to give me maximum flexibility. In my other life as a hardware chucking bass fisherman I've learned the value of manipulating the "fall" of a bait or in this case a fly.

As far as being unsportsmanlike; I can?t think of a better snagging tool than a heavily weighted fly that will get down fast. Weren?t the snagging hooks that were used on the Salmon River in NY many moons ago just big weighted hooks? I never saw anybody there using bare trebles and an egg sinker above it to snag fish.

I guess being called names by dry fly snobs for so many years has made some nymph fishing purists a bit sensitive .

+ Reply to Thread