+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A nice day on the Duck

Default A nice day on the Duck

I pulled into the parking area at Courtner's Mill on the Duck River here in Tennesse about 10:30 this morning. Rons81 was to meet me there at 11. It was a very clear and sunny day about 60 degrees and predicted to be 70 by early afternoon.
    Another fly fisher was getting ready to hit the stream about that time and I introuduced myself. It was Steve, first time on the Duck and asked for any advice I may have. Oh my God!! Someone is asking me for advice?
    Well just stay to the right when wading down stream, there are some 6 - 7 inch ledges to watch for and a lot of logs along that side just past the first island. (Which is the best place to be but it was covered up with spin fishers at the time). They just stocked yesterday so it should be pretty good if you have some weighted olive buggers.
    About this time Ron drove in and we made introductions and maybe told a few lies! Steve headed off into the river while Ron and I "Suited" up.
    There were 2 spinfishers in the hole right off the island and another down stream from them. We waded through the ledges and logs further down streanm and began throwing everything we had but with out much luck, a couple of bumps was about all! It was a beautiful day so who cared!!
    I kept an eye on the upstream spot I like and soon it cleared out. I told Ron I was heading there to stake a claim for us.
    First cast, across and mend, furled fluorocabon leader down deep, mend again, let it set, let it set some more, then a slow short strip in and Bingo!! First trout of the day!! I looked down stream and Ron was also hooked up!! This is going to be a good day!! Soon I had another fisty trout to hand and then another! Then I heard a voice behind me. It was Steve, "How you doing" he asked as he slid back into the river. "How'd you do" was my response. "Not too great" was his. "But it sure is a great day"! I told him to come on over and share my spot, "You sure, Jack? I don't want to get in your way"! He fished and we talked, he caught a few of those fiesty 'bows and we learned a lot about each other, another TN friendship.
    Soon Ron waded up stream to join us and Steve moved on up stream. Ron and I ended up with a total of 30 trout brought to hand today. It was a grand day, good fishing and good friends!
    P.S. The bait fishers only took 3 trout out of the same hole!

What a GREAT, fishing tale, Jack thank you!!
    "30 trout or 3" sounds like it was as "good a fishing day" as it was "a catching day", with meeting and making another TN-FF friend, out with another friend to begin with and the weather even cooperated!
    Don't get much better than that!
    Uuuuuh, this Steve fella.......... when he "asked for your advice" and you "happily shared with him"............... you DIDN'T give him,by any chance..... any instruction on "SSTK",did you? Just, wonder'in.
    ("SSTK=Stream Side Trout Kicking).

I took my Sammy out "Jetty Fishing" for the first time today!! We went after Sea Perch, Flounder and Rock Cod. (with fly rods) WHAT a hoot, THAT was!! Sam had "many ideas and opinions" on this "Jetty Fishing" as opposed to her customary trout and panfish adversaries!!
    Last edited by flybinder; 03-22-2008 at 06:16 AM.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Smile

Jack,
    Thanks for sharing your fishing trip with us! Tennessee trout have not been having an easy time of it, ever since you left? Michigan and Tennessee "Volunteered" to take you!
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Last edited by DShock; 03-22-2008 at 08:53 AM.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Jack -

Much enjoyed your account of your day on the Duck.

70 degrees, friends, and bunches of willing trout !! Hard to beat that combination.

Look forward to hearing about more of your adventures on the water.

John
    The fish are always right.

Jack...Great report. You were really hittin' on all cylinders, weren't you?

Paul...So did Sammy catch anything while "Jetty fishing"?? Does she want to do it again? We need info here...FACTS!...I'm waiting.
    Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Had a great day fishing with Jack. Caught a good number of fish. ( not as many as Jack ) and met some fellow fly fishers. He did tell the truth to the other fly fishers that we met, how and where to get the bows.
    I did get a little sunburned though. Not really a negative in March.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

Great report Jack! I wish I could have been there, but a prior engagement left me occupied today. I managed to do a little FF'ing when I got back, but it certainly wasn't as good as your day was.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

+ Reply to Thread