+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cortland Leader Loops

Default Cortland Leader Loops

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

The Good-
    I just started furling my own leaders and after about 4 tries, I'm making leaders that work fairly well. It was a beautiful day today and I decided to try one out. I made three that are worth trying out. One is about 5', the middle was5'8", and the longest was about 6'6". I decided to try the 5 footer and it worked very well, even with a tail wind. I caught a bass on a nymph and was rather happy that my leader worked out so well.

The Bad-
    I attached a Cortland Leader Loop to my fly line a few days ago to make change-overs a little easier. It worked very well for a while until I noticed a whipping sound on the back cast. The loop failed and I lost my leader and nymph.

The Ugly-

I recommend that if you use these, do not use the shrink tube that comes with the package. Nail knots are much more secure. That, I learned from a previous mishap. And today's incident taught me to secure the loop itself a bit better. Probably a nail knot there also. Or some super-glue.

The directions for the use of this product do not suggest securing the loop. It just says to slip it on over the fly line and secure with shrink tube.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

The Rio versions are WAY better but a little Loon UV Knot sense at the junction on the Cortland loops will cure that problem.

I use these loops all the time. I've never seen one fail like this... What I do see that over the time the little "threads will start breaking right at the leader's end. But it takes a while. I'm fishing fairly often and last year used onlt two loops per rig. I do not put the shronk tubing over the whole thing. If you do that than you realy preventing the "Chinese handcuffs" effect. My tubing covers only the very end of the loop to prevent it from "braiding out?"
    I actually bough a pack of Rio loops this year. Will see if these hold up any better.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

I would highly recommend that you not use the loops and take a look at the "Castwell Knot" instead. It is very small and has never failed me. The loop problems you experienced are the same problems I had with the loops plus where the shrink tubing meets the fly line you will discover, after use, the fly line coating will develope a crack caused from the "hinge" effect. This crack will allow water to get to the core of the fly line plus create other problems.

The "Castwell Knot" is all I use now and it works great for me. It is worth a try to see if it works for you since you are trying out different methods. Who knows, you may decide that you like it too.

Just a suggestion and nothing more....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

The first time I tried it, I used the shrink tube but the whole loop ended up flying off. I don't know why it came off like it did. I thought it may have been a problem with the line being too small. (4 wt line) I thought I fixed that this time and after several casts today the loop itself failed.

I've looked at other websites and have found several ways of making secure loops on the line itself. Most of which require you to re-seal the line with Aquaseal or something similar. I've heard of people making their own loops with braided fishing line so I may try that also.

I'll definitely give the Castwell Knot a try though and see how well it fares. I may just do some hard casting in the yard though, so I don't lose another leader and fly.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

I too have used those for a while now and had no problem until recently. I had one fail the exact same way.....?????
    Carl

Every day above ground is a good day

I've had 3 fail on my in the exact same way. Now I just nail knot perfection loop of some heavy mono on the end of the fly line.

Hard to beat a nail knot.

John
    Fish like predator.

Kind of relative to this thread, How do the factory loops hold up? Any opinions, I have a couple new Rio lines should I consider replacing or modding the factory installed loops?

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    I've had 3 fail on my in the exact same way. Now I just nail knot perfection loop of some heavy mono on the end of the fly line.
    Seriously; get yourself some of the Loon UV Knot sense. Put a small amount right at the junction of the loop so it soaks into the braid and cure it with the UV light. You loops will stay together just fine. I've been gluing mine that way ever since I had a failure about 5 years ago. It has never happened again.

In regards to the factory loops; I LOVE them! I never had any issues.

+ Reply to Thread