+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winston or Diamondback?

1. Default Winston or Diamondback?

Hello all,
    I had a ton of fun fishing with my old Fenglass rod las year however it broke beyond repair. I am looking for a slow - medium action rod and wondered how the Diamonodback classic or glass rods compared to the Winston WT, which is my point of reference. I know I should try casting but no local dealers carry D'back rods. Thought I might throw out this question before I started making a long trip to find one to cast.
    Thanks for the input.

2. Default

Western PA
    Some dealers are listed on the D'back site but they don't actually have rods in the store. What I'm looking for is do the D'back Classic Trout or glass rods have a softer action with soft tips like the Winston WT or are they more modern faster actions?

I think you should look into
    [url=http://www.performanceflyrods.com/:9e502]http://www.performanceflyrods.com/[/url:9e502]

He offers glass rods and has a reputation for craftsmanship -- about the same price as a diamondback. If you're interested, I think you should try calling him.

In my opinion the Diamondglass has a softer tip than the Winston but feels a little stiffer in the butt section. Check out Mike Callery's web site at [url=http://www.troutstix.com:0333e]www.troutstix.com[/url:0333e] for custom fiberglass rods. He made me one out of Lamiglas "S" glass with a beautiful cork grip and redwood burl reel seat that was about the same price as a Diamondglass rod. It is the best looking and one of the best performing rods in my collection. It easily compares to my Winstons performance wise.

Try a Winston Retro if you want that Fenglass feel.

They are now discontinued and many Winston dealers are discounting them 20-30%. A beautiful rod with a lifetime warrantee to boot. At 30% off you are looking at $367.50.

I know one dealer who may have a few in Eastern PA.

6. Default

Thanks
    The D'glass and WT info was what I was looking for.
    I build my most of my rods so I can customize reelseat wood, guides and wrap color.
    I will get a D'glass as a replacement
    Thanks again

[This message has been edited by kbobb (edited 21 February 2005).]

7. Default

The 8 for 4wt is, by others accounts, a great rod.
    I am looking for a shorter 7' or 7 1/2' 3 or 4 wt.
    The Retro seems like a lamiglas yellow glass in action type and finish work, while in the eye of the beholder, has received not so good
    comments.
    good luck with the new rod.

IF you enjoyed your Fenglass rod, why not replace it with the same? Aren't they making them again? Or is that Ferrulite? Hmmmm
    Anyway, we have seen new Fenwick glass stuff on some racks recently.
    ......lee s.

+ Reply to Thread