+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threadmaster Finish

Default Threadmaster Finish

I bought some Threadmaster finish. Has anyone ever used it?

I've used the Threadmaster Lite, Which is supposed to be pretty much identical to plain Threadmaster, except for the viscosity and cure time. TM light is great I love it, Here are some shots of my First and Second rods I've done, used TM Lite... I'm not a pro at this and they aren't perfect but after reading about all the possible issues that can come up with finish I'm happy with these.

Oh and the purple spinning rod was a gift for a female friend, and today is her birthday, its not mine

Nice rod RDL.
    I've used TM regular for a couple years now. Wouldn't really go back to anything else. I do have some Diamondite, but for now I'll finish off the TM. I think you'll like it. Clear as gin and it levels like no other I've tried.

RDL, that finish work is stunning. you do beautiful work, and love the JC inlays too!!

I may have to give threadmaster a shot

I've used Threadmaster (regular) on my last 2 rods and really love it!

I now have some Threadmaster Lite and plan on using this on my next couple of rods.

I've used Flex Coat, Flex Coat Lite, and U40 Duragloss LS Supreme on quite a few rods. They were OK, but I really like Threadmaster much better. As was already mentioned, levels extremely well, super clear, etc. I've also had no bubble problems. It's supposed to be really well-designed as far as UV protection (non-yellowing) after relatively long-term tests, too.

Anyway, I like Threadmaster a lot, and will continue to use it!

- Tom

The finish looks wonderful. Any place you get it from? Anything special to be careful of? <how you like the way I'm finishing sentences today,eh?> Is it subject to flame up? <I can't be around sharp things, or flammable things> What about smell? Can it be applied in confined areas, with out a respirator? <goofy enough without additional stimulus>

Personally, I like the purple rod!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

I think I am very possibly the only person who has ever used TM that isn't totally happy with it.

I honestly think I may have got a bad batch. I bought some a year ago and upon mixing it was concerned with how thick it was. I went ahead and did some "practice" wraps and had a pretty tough time with it. Called the man (his name escapes me). He said I was working in too cool conditions. I now have a room I can keep at 80. It helps but it's still too thick. Way thicker than Flex Coat.

Love the easy of mixing and it certainly look great when I get it finished right.

Based on the rave reviews it constantly gets, I'd sure like to have another batch to try but - guess I won't probably invest the dollars. May try the Lite sometime.

goodluck
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    The finish looks wonderful. Any place you get it from? Anything special to be careful of? <how you like the way I'm finishing sentences today,eh?> Is it subject to flame up? <I can't be around sharp things, or flammable things> What about smell? Can it be applied in confined areas, with out a respirator? <goofy enough without additional stimulus>

Personally, I like the purple rod!!
    Betty, go to http://www.lamarfishing.com/ is a list of places to buy it, I bought mine from donart. As for anything to be careful of, the black rod was my first ever rod, it was a TFO 8 weight TICr, I'm sure I did many things wrong but it still turned out pretty well.

During my research into rod building I did a huge amount of reading in many different places, this stuff always came up as great. The few times I've read about problems were always contamination. Problems that would appear with any finish, one fellow narrowed it down to the cups he used to mix in (Silicon contamination), another was the syringes he measured with.

Speaking of measuring, I went with the Stainless measuring spoons, I've done as small as .5 CC (roughly) with no problems, it is also supposed to be one of the most forgiving finishes around for mix quantity, the maker claims about 10% margin of error, most users agree with this as being conservative.

LOL, I can guarantee it isn't flammable, I used the open flame of an alcohol burner to level my last wrap because my speed was a bit slow and i was near the end of the pot life on it. Didn't burn down the house And as for smell, I did mine on my folding table in the front room, no smell at all, zero, only thing I could smell was my denatured alcohol. and as far as I could tell there are no noxious vapors, no light headed etc...

HideHunter, If this is the Plain Threadmaster, it is a High-Build and much thicker then the lite. It still sounds like you may have something worth talking to the fellow who makes it about. Make sure you go to the fellow that makes this stuff (Andy Lamar) think you can get contact info from his site. From what I've read he is very willing to discuss problems and help get them corrected. Give him a call, I suspect there is definitely something amiss. If nothing else give the TM Lite a shot. I've also seen comments that if you add a few drops of denatured alcohol to the TM you basically have lite, so you may want to try thinning it.

I applied my finish at about 72 degrees (about the norm temp for my house) no problems other then reaching the end of the pot life on my last guide wrap, when you consider this was 10 dual foot guides done its not bad... I allowed 24 hours between coat 1 and coat 2, turned it for about an hour, and about 3 days for final setup. My understanding is the Plain TM has much faster "set" times.

I can vouch for the clarity and leveling properties, like I said, i was careful, did some research, but I know for a fact I did many things incorrectly and still ended up with ok results. I think most of this discussion is pertinent to the OP's message but sorry if any of this is perceived as Hi-Jacking :O Thanks for the kind words all...
    Last edited by RDL; 03-21-2008 at 06:21 PM.

RDL,

Very nice work. Like some others, I've heard both the praises and horrors of TM, and for those reasons I've stayed away from it. I use Flex Coat and Flex Coat Lite for my rods, and apply it in my basement which stays around 64 F. year round. I think this runs counter to all the "recommended" environmental conditions, but my rods turn out just fine.

Based on your results, I think I'll at least try one bottle of TM Lite to see how it performs in my "ice box" basement. LOL

Keep up the great work.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread