+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I think I know what confuses me about leaders!!!

Blog Entries

Default Ok, I think I know what confuses me about leaders!!!

Alright, so very sorry about all the stupid questions lately, but I do have another......

I understand how to tie the knots, and which knots to use now, I understand the whole 60%, 20% and 20%. What I'm not sure about is how to tell which pound test butt section to use, and then, if I know which but section, what mid section etc. How do you tell how many pound test drop from the butt to the mid? Then, after the mid, and then, what size tippet? After I learn all this, I think I'll be fine to start making my leaders........Then it's on to furled...I'm doomed.

Thanks everyone,
    Shane

What your looking for is an even transference of power from the line to the leader, so what you need to do is match the leader butt to the line tip.

Take your line tip and bend it over. Now match that flexibility with your leader material
    That's your starting point.
    Then find a leader formula that matches the diameter starting point.

Leaders are as easy or as complicated as you want to make them
    All part of the game
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I second the LeaderCalc suggestion. I got into tying my own leaders for warm water fishing. I picked two "recipes" from LeaderCalc and have been happy with the results. I use the 9 ft Harry Murray Smallmouth Normal recipe for my 6/7 wt floating lines and the Std Sink Tip formula for sinking lines.

-wayne

Normand Guest

download leader calc. it has all the info you need regarding mono sizes

heres some more info

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hand+tied+leaders

Shane -

There are way too many approaches to and formulas for building knotted tapered leaders to be very precise here.

As a general guideline, from my own experience, for a 5 wt line and up you probably want to start with a butt section of .022 inch leader material. For a 3 or 4 wt line, you probably want to start with a butt of .020 inch material. Under 3 wt, I'd start with .017 inch.

Most of the stuff I've read on building knotted tapered leaders suggests not stepping down more than .002 inches at a time. But I know there is a lot of stuff that says you can make much bigger steps down and I'm sure a lot of folks on this BB who tie their own knotted tapered leaders could give you step by step directions for, for example, 9' leaders for 6 wt that only use three or four sections each of which step down .003 or .004 inch at a time.

In your case, I think it would be better to start with the more exacting and complicated leader formulas to get an idea what works for you, then simplify it to suit your own needs.

On the other hand, if you are going to fish only smaller dry flies and nymphs on lighter lines, maybe you want to focus on furled leaders rather than tying mono.

John
    The fish are always right.

Shane:

Another thing that was prompted by JohnScott's post; invest in a micrometer or a leader gauge. Measure your material of choice and mark YOUR measurement on the spool.

The stated sizes on leader material can be WAY off. If you use blood knots you should try and not step down more than .002 to reduce knot slippage. I THINK you can step down greater amounts safely if you use a Surgeon's knot but I'm not positive.

Havin' fun yet?

Default Try this

I use this combo for all leaders on all my rods (3, 5, & 8wt). Butt section is 25# and is X" long + 20# 1/2 X" + 0X 1/4 X" + 18-24" of whatever tippet I want. It has improved my casting.

You are using maxima right? Keep the drop down in the 5 - 10 lb range between sections. I would suggest a butt of 25 or 30 lb then taper down with three equal sections of 20, 15 and 10. You could get away with a two section taper of 20 to 15 lb if you are using heavier tippits (0-2X).

Use blood knots with 3 turns on the 25 - 30 lb, 4 turns on 12 - 20 lb and 5 turns on lighter stuff. Lubricate well (spit works) and pull tight to seat the wraps.

Tight Lines!

Guy

Confused yet otta?

Here is my leader recipe - I call it the cheap bastard special.

36 inches 15 lb. test
    24 inches 12 lb.test
    10 inches 10 lb. test
    10 inches 8 lb. test
    8 inches 6 lb. test
    6 inches 4 lb. test
    24 inches 2 lb. test

It's good for a 10 foot leader that's between a 5 and 6 x. As long as you keep the brand of mono consistent it works just fine. For what it's worth, I use the cheapie $2 spools for all but the tippet/last section.

+ Reply to Thread