+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or ...

Thumbs down Is it me or ...

... is this just wrong.

Please see the following link (Apologies to JC and LF, this website is another fishing site, although it is not dedicated to FF as FAOL is and I am NOT recommending it, only pointing to a specific article there):
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewrive...estraider.html

Perhaps its me, I am applying hunting mammals and bird logic to fishing, but why would you want to harrass female fish (although this bait targets bass, I am sure other fish get their nests raided by salamanders, too) who are getting ready to lay eggs that will hopefully begin a new generation of fish to hunt? Even if you practice catch and release with this lure, and I am not sure that any harm is done to the eggs if the female has not laid them and gets stressed out by being caught and released. However, why take the chance by deliberately targeting females during the mating season?

Now, I am not knocking people for catching females during the mating season, afterall when you throw your lure in the water you can't control which fish will actually take it and you can't tell if its a female (unless you saw the fish that took it) as you play it. However, this lure is meant to deliberately target female bass and that's how the review article was written.

I think that's wrong, but, like I already said, maybe its me that's wrong.

Paul

Blog Entries

im with you on that. its that short term entertainment thats screwing over america. people dont think of the long term consequences of their actions. yeah youll have a good time catching a few bass now, but then, 3 years later, there will be few if any bass and then those people will be annoyed wondering where all the bass are.

If you are wrong, then so am I. We will probably both take "heat" for this and our opinions, but, I really do not care. I still think it is wrong.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Howdy Gandalf...
    You are right........the whole concept that lure and ad promotion advocates is wrong.
    Wrong, wrong. Besides the thing certainly ain't a fly. Make 'em all go away...it's almost as bad as usin' a gill net.................................ModocDan

I don't even like to fish for bedding bluegills. Bed fishing for bass is pretty common, though. If you ever watch the BASS and FLW tourneys on TV, you'll see plenty of it.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I knew there was a reason I don't watch TV tourneys.....................M.D.

Gandalf,

You are not alone in your thinking. The are people and companies only looking to make a buck and don't give a rats arse of the consequences. Those who use such lures are no better and likewise don't give a rats arse as well so long as they increase they're percentage of hookups.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Well sports fans, I guess someone has to take the other side. I believe there have been many studies done on catching bedding bass. Results, they go right back on the beds, (if released). There is more stress on the female in just the act of spawning in itself. There will be many females die due to the spawn, not being caught.

Sorry to be the loner here but the question was asked.

By the way, that particular lure is hideous.
    Steve

Blog Entries

first, I think this is pure wrong.

But arn't the females bigger?

I don't like fishing for bedding fish, but I thought it was the males that guarded the nest.

As long as I can remember, people have been catching bass and bluegill off the nest. It hasn't seemed to hurt the population over the past 30 years or so.

I don't intentionally do it and I don't like seeing it done, but I also doubt if it's really hurting the bass populations much either.

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread