+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tying leader on

Default tying leader on

what knot should i use to tie my leader to my my floating line?? I have always just tied a loop and tied my leader off that, but when i get my leader through my eyes, it gets stuck on the knot on the way back out. so i was looking for a knot that would make that not happen

I use a needle knot to tie on a piece of amnesia with a loop in the end of the line, Then I use a loop to loop to attach the leader. I use a surgeons's loop for the amnesia-but only cuz it is so easy to tie. I use Rio leaders that already have a loop in the butt.

All of this is bulky and can cause problems getting through the tip top guide. The solution is to not let it get back inside the tip top until you are done fishing. That means not using the fly keeper loop down near the reel. Instead, hook your fly around the highest snake guide you can easily reach when moving between spots.

i have learned to deal with this, but i just wanted to try something new.

I have learned a simple little trick that prevents the leader from going in the tiptop and u can still use the hook keeper. hook the fly on the hookkeeper, then take the leader and wrap it around the bottum of your reel, this gives u a lot more space, and it doesnt go into the tiptop.

Fishy,
    If you're new and don't tie your own leaders (assumption here) and you'd like to be rid of those bulky knots, to include the loop to loop connections, you can do as I've been shown....buy some of those Leader Link connectors from Cabella's.

Be sure to get the real Leader Links as there are some cheap imitations. Cabella's sells the good ones.

Bear in mind this is the simple fix when you don't tie your own leaders and will serve you well for most situations.

I'm 50/50, kind of a slug, lazy. I do use them but also firmly believe that when you decide to "get into" this fly fishing game then JC is correct.

You'll likley use Chameleon or the likes as a leader butt mat'l. and then you can use a nail knot to attach that leader to the fly line. Small knot!! And it'll solve your problem in probably the best manner.

Castwell is also correct. Read much! It's just the beginning grasshopper.

Now, how much do you really wanna toy with this game?

Have fun with it and keep it fun. And read!

Jeremy.

Hi fishy guts,

I use a nail knot for my leader to fly line. I normally fish salmon and have hooked some decent size fish and have never had one fail yet. It is pretty easy to tie and makes a reasonably clean knot for going through the guides.

Have a great day,
    Alan (salmonguy)
    Catch & Release Works...

fishy guts,
    I too use the nail knot. But I don't use a nail or one of the many tools available to tie it. I just use one of those straws that comes with a can of WD-40. When you have the knot wrapped, just feed the tag end of your leader through the straw. Makes a nice neat knot. Five wraps is really all you need, but I usually go 6.

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    -----------------
    Lotech Joe

I use the Castwell knot!
    I used it while landing 30"+ northern this
    past June and it never failed me. I've also landed several 20"+ WV browntrout using this knot and will never use anything else. Its easy to learn, impossible to forget, very strong, and goes through you guides like there wasn't even a knot there!
    check it out, its under the flyfishing basics section, under "knots".

browntrout

[This message has been edited by WV browntrout (edited 26 August 2005).]

Hey FG,

I've used the "nailess" knot for about
    5 years now. It's quick and easy to tie and
    requires no tying aids. I've landed bass to
    7 pounds and two carp that exceeded 40 pounds and it's never failed me. It's
    a very small tight knot and never catches
    in my guides. Warm regards, Jim

What i would do if it were me is head down to your closest shop and ask some one there to help you. As all of the knots that the people on the board told you about are good, most are not easy to learn. Some of the old timers that came in our store would have me put a new leader butt on every year and I was proud to do it. Buy a new leader from the shop and they should be delighted to do that for you as well.

Rich

FOr a smoother connection of a Knotless Leader to Floating Line, I takre a sewing needle to widen the hole of the end of the floating line, leader end into hole, & super glue !!! It's a strong hold, better dry fly turnover. Have used it for years !!!!!

+ Reply to Thread