+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pflueger Medalist Backing chart

Question Pflueger Medalist Backing chart

Anybody have a backing chart for the Medalist? I'm thinking of using one for my H & H 3wt that I built. Guess I need to know how much backing with a 3wt line will go on a 1492 & 94. Thanks and God Bless!

I don't have a chart but what I do is tape the fly line to the reel and put it all on the reel then attach the backing to the line and wind on reel until it is full to your satisfaction. Now the bad part. pull it off the reel and tie backing to reel and reel the whole mess back on.

John 3:16
    I do it the same way as harleybob87. Just make sure there are no cats, dogs, children, etc. under foot when you do it!

I just got a 1492 (Courtesy of mnklagoon) and when I put the backing on, I ran it up to where it covered the first set of holes completely on the spool. It seems to work better this way than the original way I had it which had very little on it. It has a #4 wt. line and it didn't quite reach the outer diameter of the spool. It was below it by 1/8-1/4 inch.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help guys!

I do the same as HarleyBob. It works easily if you have the house to yourself and can walk around the living room and dining room making a large 'spool' of the furniture, or if you live in a warm climate (now) or ... and you do it outside between a couple of trees. It should only take about 15 minutes (aside from knot tying).

I have 7 or 8 Medalists
    I do the same as joerogrz
    ...Fill the backing to the top of the small holes..
    Works every time
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I do it the same way as Harley Bob, but I use a Reel-E-Good line winder with extra spools. After I wind the fly line and then the backing onto the reel I unwind the backing on one spool and the fly line on another. Now that the reel is empty I tie my knots and wind the spool of backing onto the reel and then the spool of fly line.

Neither the fly line or the backing get tangled up and it doesn't take long to do it at all.

It is also great for cleaning fly line and applying dressing to fly lines.

I've got to "5th" harleybob's way of adding any backing and line to a reel. And, I also use my "Reel-E Good" line winder to do it too! It's the neatest, quickest, easiest, way to handle any "fly line job" I've ever found. With the extra spools, (like A-Grayling mentioned), it's a fantastic tool for doing backing, cleaning and dressing fly lines. Mine is around 5 years old but even "being made of all plastic" it's still as good as new.
    I also made my own adapter to chuck into my cordless, variable speed, screw gun to use on the reel, and/or, on the large take up spools and can really do a lot of line work in a very short time!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread