+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who fish w/fiberglass

Default For those who fish w/fiberglass

I've been thinking about trying out a fiberglass rod. But don't know where to start as far as what is a repectable name/model of all the ones I see on ebay etc. I just want to have one in my collection that won't break the bank. ANy advice appreciated.
    Janus

Mc Farland and Steffen are the two I prefer. Lamiglass is a good choice also.
    McFarland and Lami are going to be "E" glass (slow) and Steffen a "S" glass (a little quicker)
    Then there is Parabolic, which just means you feel the bend right to the cork.

McFarland and Steffen are modern rods in the higher end
    Used blue collar rods would include Fenwick, Heddon, Shakespeare, Berkley, Wright & McGill and Garcia.
    My favorite is Phillipson. They also made rods for Orvis and LL Bean.

A perfectly good (and cheap) modern rod is the 7 1/2' 6wt Eagle Claw
    I was at a local W**mart yesterday. They had them for $18 and change
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Janus;

"butternut-tyer" has a nice Shakespear on the For Sale board here. He's offering it for $125 shipped.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    McFarland and Steffen are modern rods in the higher end
    Used blue collar rods would include Fenwick, Heddon, Shakespeare, Berkley, Wright & McGill and Garcia.
    My favorite is Phillipson. They also made rods for Orvis and LL Bean.

A perfectly good (and cheap) modern rod is the 7 1/2' 6wt Eagle Claw
    I was at a local W**mart yesterday. They had them for $18 and change
    I have that rod (EAGLE CLAW) only I went with the 7' 5/6. Not a bad rod, great roll caster. You can however, pass a ski rope through the guides. The ones on the 7 1/2' were even bigger...WOW!. Like you said not a BAD rod, fun little stick. Got mine off e-bay for $12. with shipping.

nighthawk Guest

I agree with Fly Goddess as i have a couple of these rods. I read somewhere that these Eagle Claw Wright & McGill rods were intended to be fly/spin rods thus the oversize guides. Regardless, for less than $20 brand new you can't go too far wrong.

Hey folks lets not forget the Browning rods too. The Silaflex is a nice rod to be had at reasonable prices.
    Last edited by nighthawk; 03-19-2008 at 02:09 AM.

Janus:

What length, line weight and action do think you want?

Are you planning on using it for trout, bass, panfish, or all of the above?

Like all rods materials, there are plenty of variables with glass. If you want to enjoy the rod you need to choose wisely so that price or a desire to own isn't your only criteria. Once you dial in your preference & price point; ask your specific question here and you get lots of excellent recommendations.

If you are as lucky as me your first glass fly rod will put a HUGE smile on your face and a desire to add more than one to your quiver.

Welcome to the glass menagerie!

I cut my eye teeth on fiberglass. And I very well remember when fiberglass was making it's debut just after WW II ... and the Shakespeare "Wonder Rod" was king of the hill. Easily last a lifetime (or two) of use! No doubt you'll have other rods, too, so if you can find a good used Shakespeare, you'll have a fine fly rod.

Dale

Thanks for all the suggestions. Fish for bass and panfish. 5-7wt line would be fine. I like rods on the medium/slow side...have an orvis clearwater midflex and a Fish Eagle that I built that I feel most comfortable with...would rather go slower than faster action wise.
    Thanks again,
    Janus

You know what? I am leaning towards a wonderod..if anyone has one they want to get rid of I have a redington crosswater 5/6 9' 4pc that I would trade. just pm me.

+ Reply to Thread