+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carp on Lake James NC

Default Carp on Lake James NC

Me and my brother in law Eric took our kayaks out on Lake James NC last Thursday. We have SOT's my is a Hobie Quest and Eric's is a Ocean Kayak Prowler 13. Eric went after the walleye that are staging at the mouth of the Catawba River and at the North Fork of the Catawba. He was fishing a spinning rod and I had my 7 weight.
    I saw some large carp tailing in two feet of water and started casting a little crawfish to them, no go.I saw some shad being pushed to the surface in a little deeper water so I tied on a brown gold and white minnow imation and drifted within casting range. On my second cast I got a hit and I watched my backing appear. After about fifteen minutes I had the fish within sight and was reaching for my net and the carp saw my hull and took off and shook the no barb hook out. Oh well, there is always tomorrow.
    See you on the trail, Grunt

2. Default

Hello, my name is Zac Denton. I live in Morganton NC. I recently bought a fishing kayak to fish for carp. I read your post. It sounds great. WOuld you be interested in going out with me. Please let me know. My email is ezflyfish2@yahoo.com. I would love to go carp chasing with you guys.

I chased the carp pretty seriously last year and bought a pontoon boat for this season. One of the freshwater species that will consistantly take you into the backing. Glad that you caught a memory on that day. One that you will remember. I bet when you think back on that day you will not think: "Oh, it's just a carp" , but rather remember a powerful fish and remember the battle with respect and awe. That's how I think of carp. Your story put a smile on my face.

Rick

be carefull zdenton carp on a fly can ruin your life. I can think of nother more then the golden bones on a fly.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

Blog Entries

Talking

People tend to scoff at Carp.

Carp though have the last laugh when they humble the sox off of you.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Spent today back at Lake James and I fished pretty hard. We have had heavy rain the last couple of days and the flat that hold all the carp was muddy from the Catawba and the North Fork of the Catawba pouring all that mountain water into the lake. there was so much food in at the rivers mouths that the Herons,Ospreys, and Gulls were around in numbers. The carp weren't feeding i think with all the food they were full. I laid good casts on three fishes noses with two different flys and they passed up all my offerings. I saw some spawning carp doing their dance in a couple of different backwaters but I left them alone. Had a deer swimming along side my kayak for a while too.
    A good day even though I got skunked.
    See you on the trail, Grunt

+ Reply to Thread