+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: battenkill mid arbor for 7wt???

Default battenkill mid arbor for 7wt???

just wondered something. my orvis catalog says the mid arbor III model is for 5/7 wt rods. it holds 100 yards of dacron backing and 7wt line. ok but heres where I am confused. I was gonna get it from a seller for the 7wt custom steelhead rod I am having built and stuff but they say its for 5/6 wt lines and holds only 75 yards of 6 wt line? now who do I believe? why pay $20 more dollars for the IV model which orvis says is 7/9, but the dealer says is 7/8, if I don't need it when I can spend that on some better fly line and backing. I don't see a steelhead in my river taking me out all 100 yards plus 90 feet of fly line. so basically what is right?
    what is wrong???? will the III model handle steelhead 6 pounds or so??? and will it hold 7wt line or do I need the 7/9 IV model? I don't wanna pay $20 for just more backing space if I don't gotta. help please!!
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

F-69;
    MAYBE, (only guessing here?), that whoever is building your rod, is also trying to sell you a reel?
    Anyway, I've fished a Battenkill M/A III all winter, this past season, and taken my largest metalhead of 14 poundsf (for 2007), on it and it didn't even break a sweat.
    It also, brought 11 other steels to the net, all well over 6 pounds with no problems.
    Of course, I don't know about the steelies in YOUR immediate area, but ours when we're lucky enough to connect with one, have JUST come in from the sea and are none too happy about "being bothered by a scroungy looking steelheader" so they "fight and run", extremely hard and long most of the time. "Enough backing" is of a real concern on some of our larger, steelhead/coastal rivers here.
    The current of our rivers, is also quite heavy and strong, (adding to the fish's fight and the wear and tear on a drag), because they fall from the coast mountains, in a fairly short distance, to the ocean. So, the two things added together, can make for some "interesting fishing" to say the least!
    But, my Orvis BK/MA III, loaded with a WF/6/F and 100 yards of backing, still has a full 1/2" of room before the spool would be considered "full up".
    I can't see any problem with you having a 100 yards of backing as well as a 7wt. line on one, without crowding things at all!?!
    I'd also, check with a fly shop that peddles the reel, and fills them on a regular basis if possible. They should be able to tell you, if your particular line will fit properly or not, with the amount of backing you prefer. And also call and talk to an Orvis employee and ask THEM, what they recommend for your set up!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

thanks for the help and idea on what your reel holds. no theres no reel selling involved buy the rod maker. just trying to match my rod from what I customly picked out and this reel matches perfect and plus I still wanna have something to stand up to some running lake erie stocked steelies. 14 is big around here most average 6 to 8 lbs or 24 inches or so prolly that come into our rivers. with bigguns like you say!!! the reason I wanted the III instead of the IV is I can cast across my rivers in most places.. no way the steel is going 100+ yards or ( a football field) down stream. also the stream is never flowing hard and if it is its muddy and impossible to fish.. even so I could chase it down by then. so basically what you are saying is the III model will stand up to my needs if this is my situation? I also have a 8wt cabelas large arbor for steelhead and stuff and it hold 250 yards or something of backing! never even made it to the backing myself so far.
    Last edited by fishaholic69; 03-17-2008 at 06:42 AM.
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

I'm actually looking at this reel myself, but in my case it is for a 4wt. rod rather than a 7wt. It appears that Orvis hasn't provided clear guidance for what weights this reel is applicable to. Some listings show it is a 5-7, some show it as a 5,6; and both of those are from Orvis itself (one web, the other catalog). I happen to lucky (my wife thinks unlucky) to have an Orivs (company owned) store nearby. I looked at this reel in the store and asked the fishing manager about it. His response was that the numbers were "guidelines" and that you should go with what feels right. In other words, if a 7 wt. line and 75 yds. of backing is enough for you, go for it. As flybinder has noted if you think you might get into fish that will take you to the backing you may want the full 100+ yds. of backing you could put on the MA IV. I think you should let personal preference guide you here.

In my case the reel feels right on the rod and going with the MA III gives me the option of using it on my 5 and 6wt. rods without issue.

Buy the bigger reel and don't look back. I have a Battenkill large arbor and the amount of backing that they state in the literature wasn't accurate for me on two of their reels. They didn't hold their advertised amount of backing. I think if you were throwing that 7 wt in a pond for bass that don't have long runs it might be one thing to use that reel on a 7 wt. Like you said, you have never been into your backing yet and that is the way with most that don't fish the species that take you there.

You said you wanted this for steelhead. Steelhead can and do take you there. Buy the bigger reel. When I bought my latest reel for my 8 wt, I bought a reel designed for a 9/10 wt. When you need the backing to be there that little extra weight is no longer a concern.

Rick

Default Reel

F69 - I fish the Erie Tribs with an 8wt and the Mid-Arbor IV for 7-8 wts. I just looked on line and the difference between the IV and the III is only $10. I would imagine that the smaller reel would work and you would be able to get close to 175 yds of Gel-spun and 100 of the Dacron.

Go with the numbers from Orvis. I have contacted them in the past via phone and email for backing capacities for their reels. I have 12 Orvis reels and they have been very accurate with the numbers. I use Gel Spun backing on all mine.

-wayne

I'd go witht the one that will hold more backing...just in case you need it for the fish of a lifetime.

TT.

i use the IV for my 7 weight.

I think the Battenkill Mid makes a good reel up to a 7wt. line. I think it's way too light for anything over a 7. I use the size 5, with a 6wt. line and run it off a 10' 6wt. T3, for steelies and it balances that fairly descent. The size 3 would be way too small for a 7wt. steelie rod. I think the 3 is better suited for a 4wt. line.

+ Reply to Thread