+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Pheasant Tails

Default Speaking of Pheasant Tails

While on the subject of PT nymphs, here are a few I tied up yesterday. I've only been tying since the first of Feb. It's something I really enjoy and am trying to get better. These are my first attempts at PT's.

I tackled the Adams today. Let me tie a few more before I post any photos. It looked OK but I want to get a little cleaner on the hackle wraps and wings before I post any photos. It was a little rougher than I'd like.

These PT's are a little rough but I think they may still catch a fish or two. I tied about a dozen of them with half in size 12 and half size 16. Some bead head and some not bead head.

Here's the shots. Let me know what you guys think.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffnles1; 03-17-2008 at 01:34 AM. Reason: fix link

My very humble opinion says "look out fish". Very nice ties. This thing of tying flies is an infatuation then an addiction, very wallet threatening.
    Last edited by rookie; 03-17-2008 at 03:17 AM.
    Steve

Jeff,

Those are some nice looking flies. I can't wait to see what comes smoking out of your vise a year from now. Those will certainly fish.

very nice job!

Jeff, and you WONDERED WHY, during our email correspondences and you sent me pictures of your flies as your classes progressed..................... I dubbed you, "Tying God"!??
    Your PTs are excellent looking and if they're A TENTH as well done as the flies you've sent to me, I'm going to start begging YOU, for lessons!
    I'm serious and NOT because you're paying me a $500.00 a week, retainer to make posts on here, like this one either! Wait, that was one of those "secrets" wasn't it? Sorry!
    Anyway, I think it's time now, for you to approach Leslie and tell her you NEED to spend a LOT MORE on tying materials, rods, reels, lines, etc.!! It's obvious that you've "come over to the dark side" so might was well go all out.
    I'm sure, from all you've told me about your bride........................
    "She's YOUNG"
    "She's GORGEOUS"
    "She's WONDERFUL"
    (have you called her in,to read this yet?)
    "She's SWEET"
    "She's UNDERSTANDING"
    "She's KIND HEARTED"
    (she, here, now?)
    That she'll readily agree that you should spend a lot more on your fly tying than you currently are!!
    (By the way, this is the 16th and your weekly check is late by two days!?)
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nice effort - you are doing well if you are just starting at this. I think that a decent nymph is harder to tie than anything else - no room for error.

That being said, I guess you posted the pics for some feedback, so all I could say would be that maybe for me the tail is a tad long, and it looks as if the body ends a bit short, but that could be the angle of the shop too. Well done.

Everybody,
    Thahks for the feedback and encouragement. Paul, when it comes to all maters involving spousal approval and relationships, you are my hero.!!!

I think the true test of any fly is if a fish eats it. Winter is just now starting to lose it's grip on this area and in a couple weeks, I will toss a few of my creations at local fish and see if any of them are convinced my flies look like something they's like to eat.

I cannot wait to catch my first fish on a fly I tied.

Jeff

I think they look good and should catch fish. The only thing I will throw out is that when I look close at the pictures it looks like you may have wrapped your wire in the same direction as the body. When wrapping a wire rib you need to remember to counter wrap it so that it will provide protection for the herl body by going across the body material. Just trying to be helpful...Keep at tying and enjoy it. I know that I love tying...
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    I think they look good and should catch fish. The only thing I will throw out is that when I look close at the pictures it looks like you may have wrapped your wire in the same direction as the body. When wrapping a wire rib you need to remember to counter wrap it so that it will provide protection for the herl body by going across the body material. Just trying to be helpful...Keep at tying and enjoy it. I know that I love tying...
    Warren,
    You are right. I "remembered" to counter wrap about a dozen flies into the session.

I have a lot of notes I took over the 6 Sundays of the class I was in. I'm still learning and need to refer to my notbook far more than I would like. I hope that someday, I'll get to the point where tying flies is like playing guitar is to me now. I can carry on a conversation with someone while playing the guitar. I just know the next chord or note and don't need to think about it.

I hope there will come a time when I sit down to the vise and want to tie a given fly, I'll just know the steps and not need to look at a notebook.

Thanks,
    Jeff

"I hope there will come a time when I sit down to the vise and want to tie a given fly, I'll just know the steps and not need to look at a notebook."

Trust me, that will come. You just need to try and devote at least 1 hour per night to tying and it will all come together. It also helps to tie at least 6 of the same pattern when you do tie. This will help you to remember each tying step. As you are tying you need to try and improve on each fly and if you notice something that is not quite right, such as the tail looks too long or I am crowding the head, etc., stop what you are doing and go back and change it. It is much easier to change while tying than it is once you have applied the whip finish. I have been at this a lot longer than you and there are times when I do not like the fly I just tied and will take a razor blade to it and start all over. I know that I will never fish that fly only because I did not like the way it looked. It may have been the best fish catching fly in my fly box, but, if I don't like it, I will not fish it long enough to give it a chance. Each time you sit to tie strive to improve. Use less wraps of thread when you tie something in, pay closer attention to porportions, tail length, smaller heads, etc. Don't hurry when tying and if things are not going right, just stop tying and do something else like watch a tying DVD, cut material off old flies so you can reuse the hook or read about fly tying. There are nights that tying is not in my cards and I will spend time making dubbing brushes, cutting material off old flies, plucking feathers and putting different sizes in their labeled baggies, etc.

Sorry I got carried away with this post. I just love tying and want everyone to give it a try and see if it will bring as much enjoyment into their lives as it does in mine.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread