+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yesterday's Bragging Rights

Default Yesterday's Bragging Rights

Since no one else claimed bragging rights for yesterday, I guess I will, belatedly.

Yesterday I landed a 23" mountain whitefish out of the South Fork of the Snake.

I got to wondering this morning how big they get. According to several websites, the typical whitefish runs 10-16", maybe a bit bigger in some areas, a bit smaller in others. The 10-16" bracket is consistent with my experience on the South Fork. I've had them up to 20" but that is really rare.

The world record mountain whitefish is just over 27". Glad I threw that fish back yesterday. Maybe next year, or the year following ...... ????

John
    The fish are always right.

Default record whitefish

The Idaho record is 22.5 inches and 5lb. 14.4oz. Sounds like it was close to the Idaho Record. Get your name in the book. I wish I was closer to the South Fork. Sounds like fun spring fishing.

John you make me green with envy. I really like to chase those whitefish this time of year however an illness in the family will prevent me going until next year.

Good Luck.

Tim

Default Way to go John

John,

Congratulations on your feat. What did you catch that big one on? According to Hutch's reply sounds like you'd be the new state record holder. What's required to apply for any kind of recognition as far as a potential state record or trophy fish catch in Idaho?

Dick

Just verified Hutch's information. Had an Idaho State Record fish in my hands and threw it back.

Probably lots of other folks have done the same thing ?! Not really concerned about the record books, but really wish I had had a camera, or cameraman, with me so I could share this one with all you guys.

GMM - it took a weighted size 6 ( Dai-Riki 700 4X long streamer hook ) brown rubber legs stonefly nymph. Very simple tie. Brown chenile for the body, Angler's Choice rusty olive Super Floss for the tails, antenna, and three sets of legs. Go to www.westfly.com, go to Idaho, go to fly patterns and go to "rubber legs," for a black version.

John

Nice fish, John!
    If you change your mind, (when and if, you ever find one), about the state record on Whitefish, contact the F & G and merely tell them; "I told flybinder about the fish and HE believed me!" and that should be about all you need, to get into the record books.
    While still living in Idaho, I was involved in game of gentlemanly card playing, one Saturday night down in Boise. Several of those, that are in charge of such things as "State fishing records" still have not cleared up "certain debts" with me. You should have no problem with entering your fish. Or, you may get arrested, not sure how angry they still are about loosing.
    Also, if you DO use my name to get your fish entered into the records, please just say the name, you don't have to really let them know where I am. Good luck. The jails serve meatloaf on Wednesdays, if things don't go well and it's homemade.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Did some research on State Records. Turns out the biggest mountain whitefish length-wise on record in the U.S. was a 23" ( 5 Lb 11 oz ) fish caught 10-07 in Hauser Reservoir in Montana. The biggest weight-wise is the Idaho State Record at ( 22.5" ) 5 lb 14 oz taken at Island Park Reservoir in 1997.

I didn't weigh the one I caught yesterday, but suspect he was in the 5.5-6 pound range. He certainly was healthy and fat.

Didn't just throw back a potential Idaho State Record mountain whitefish - may have thrown back a U. S. record ??!!

John

Live and learn - and carry a camera.
    Last edited by JohnScott; 03-17-2008 at 12:21 AM.

Blog Entries

I know of quite a few whities in that size range that have been caught and tossed back, including one or two at the end of my line, although the vast majority of the ones I ever caught were about 12-16" or so. Go back to the same run, put on a beadhead prince with a glo bug dropper, and catch him again.

I once won a fishing rod in a photo contest with a pic of my now-ex and a whitefish she had caught. Might explain why she is my ex. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Didn't just throw back a potential Idaho State Record mountain whitefish - may have thrown back a U. S. record ??!!

John

Live and learn - and carry a camera.
    That's a bummer!
    nam

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    ... Go back to the same run, put on a beadhead prince with a glo bug dropper, and catch him again....

Dennis -

If I caught him again, I'd have to release him again. Last thing I need, or close to it, is my name in a record book. I've enjoyed posting about the experience here and sharing it with my kids and a couple of my local fishing friends.

Beyond that - time to get out and do some more fishing.

John

+ Reply to Thread