+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Advice from FAOL

Question Need Advice from FAOL

Hi everyone, I've a got a few basic equipment questions and thought I'd see what kind of thoughts and advice any of you have for me.

I've been fly fishing for several years intentionally ignoring the details of my cheap equipment, knowing that if I did much research and actually learned even the basics I would end up spending a ridiculous amount of money getting myself properly outfitted. Besides, I've always done fairly well with my $40 rod and thought if I ever tried better equipment I would feel the need to upgrade. Well, I couldn't avoid it forever because lately I've been thinking that a 4-piece rod would be nice for backpacking trips, and some kind of sinking line setup would be nice for mountain lakes. Also, I recently noticed that my fly line is old and cracking. As I took my first ever quick inventory, I also realized that I've been fishing a 5 weight line on a 7 weight rod - I'm not lying when I said I've completely ignored my equipment details!

I fish almost exclusively for trout, although I'm going to try for some pike and bass this summer. My questions are:

1. Will I notice a huge difference having a proper line/rod/weight setup? I actually feel like I do quite well with my current setup - maybe I'm just used to it after years of using it.

2. Any ideas on a good 4 or 5 weight, 4 - piece rod? Anything over $200 is probably out of the question.

3. I've never fished with sinking line before. I'm going to buy an extra spool for my reel to hold a line setup when I'm not fishing on or just below the surface. Should I get a sink tip setup or a full sink?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on any of this.

Ok, you asked for it, so here's MY opinion on your situation.

1. Yes, by having a balanced and properly sized outfit, you will notice a big difference. You are correct in presuming that everything is fine because you've talked yourself into believing that. It's just a form of denial that there is a problem, so don't concern yourself with it.

2. If you insist on BUYING a 4-piece outfit, and don't want to break the bank, The Cabelas Tradition II rod is $99 for the 4-piece rod. There are also deals for complete outfits, so check it out at http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat20457&rid=
    I own this rod and like it a lot. I have the CSR reel and Mastery WFF line combo.

3. If you want to save some more money and get some personal satisfaction, you can build your own Tradition II for $64.95 + shipping from Hook & Hackle. http://shop4.mailordercentral.com/ho...number=HHF9054

4. I would buy a sink tip kit if you are using a sink tip just infrequently. If you're going to use it a lot, then a sinking line on a spare spool is a good idea, but i think they come in different weights, so you may want to investigate that before committing to a full sink line.

Whatever you choose to do, we'll be here to help or confuse your decision making process. Have fun with your upgrade.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

You don't need an expensive rod or reel to catch fish!
    You need good line, good leaders, good tippet and flies that fish will take.
    What you need more than anything is good(not anal-retentive-good) fly presentation.

If anyone tells you that you need expensive gear to catch fish, they themselves are poor fishermen.

Good fishing technique trumps all!!

In fact that is becoming my new signature.........
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 03-12-2008 at 08:51 PM.

One step at a time. Decide how much you are willing to INVEST in a 'Combo'. Then find it and buy it (rod, reel, line) Worry about a spare spool and other line some other day.

Deezel Guest

1. Will I notice a huge difference having a proper line/rod/weight setup?

Definitely! Regardless of the cost of the rod, it will perform better if the weight line matches the weight designation of the rod. Some responses may chime in on 'over-lining', but generally that's not needed.

2. Any ideas on a good 4 or 5 weight, 4 - piece rod? Anything over $200 is probably out of the question.

There are plenty of good quality rods out there that are below the $200 budget so I won't bother giving specifics. Since you've been fly fishing for awhile I'd suggest trying to test cast some rods before you make a decision.

3. I've never fished with sinking line before. I'm going to buy an extra spool for my reel to hold a line setup when I'm not fishing on or just below the surface. Should I get a sink tip setup or a full sink?

I would not suggest a sinking line and I've only used a sink-tip a few times.

Deezel

Mate - its hard to buy a crap rod these days, get a known brand and get what you like and can afford. A cheap reel is fine as long as it is balanced with the outfit. As said earlier, a good line, leader etc is the important bit. As to sonking, don't stress out there. If you have to, an intermediate on a seperate spool/reel can be handy but I would suspect that a long sinking tippet/weighted fly combo would suit most lakes. I say that having no idea as to your fishing area though.

in answer to question #1 Yes you feel a difference if the outfit you are fishing is balanced. If nothing else and you don't want to break the bank go to http://www.dorber.com/product.html and buy a line for under $20.00. Another site is http://www.discountfishinginc.com/ and get one for under $10.00. I know a few guys here who use the latter and hvae no problem with them. They are seconds but work well. I have done business with dorber and they are wonderful.
    Question #2 was answered best by Joe. I think that is about the cheapest in a decent rod you are going to find. I like TFO rods and they can be had for under $200.0 in fact the pro series runs about $150.00 now. I just don't feel you need a new rod though if you don't want one. I think the proper balance of rod,line, and reel will work just fine for you. One of my bro's uses a wallmart special he paid $20.00 for and has been happy as a clam for years with it. I don't know the guy personnally but I know of a gentleman (and I use that term loosely) that went out and caught salmon(I believe that is what I read) with a broomstick.
    In answer to question #3 If you fish stillwater a lot and need to get down deep then yes a sinking line is best. Otherwise do not waste your money. I fish stillwater a lot and use a sink tip and a sinking line depending on time of year and water conditions. Most of the time it is a sinktip. A 7 weight will do well for the pike and bass and trout and if you get the chance steelhead. Hope this helps you out.

Justice League Guest

Cabela's is the palce to look for a combo. If you are just wanting a rod for under 200 then I would go with a TFO. Now for the weight of the rod for trout, bass and pike I would go with a 6 wt. If you are not buying a combo then you need to make sure the reel balances out the rod. Line there is no question cortland 333. Just have fun and fish hard.

Default Combo

Basspro has a white river combo on sale for 69.00 until mar 31.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm leaning towards that Cabelas 4 piece, 5 weight combo and hoping they'll let me get 7 weight line on the reel. That way I can use my current reel (with 5 wt line) on the new rod and put the new reel on my old rod. I'm still undecided about the sinking line. I think it would be easier on mountain lakes to just switch spools to go from nymphing to fishing near the surface...I'm still pretty green at fishing stillwaters.

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread