+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulip Fabric Paint

Default Tulip Fabric Paint

Hi all, A while back I started to use Tulip Fabric paint on many of my flies. I came up with a way to make a sheet out of the paint. I mainly
    use the clear glitter type, because it shows the color of the under body of a fly. This is my rendition of a Scud.

To make a sheet use a Dixie paper plate, and coat it with a thin coat of Vaseline. I mix my Fabric paint with water, about half. If you want a thicker sheet, just use less water. Tulip puts out many types of Fab. Paint, smooth, glitter, puffy etc. You can dry it under a light bulb if you like, but not to close or else you can burn it. I am lucky, because I happen to own a food dryer. Two and a half hrs. and it is ready to peel from the plate.

If you use the paint straight from the bottle, tap the bottom of the plate on your knuckle of your other hand, and the paint will spread out to the thickness you want.
    If you dilute the paint , tapping is not necessary, just roll it in a circle to the size and thickness you desire. I have made sheets tissue paper thin at times, just be careful when peeling it off. A sheet will shrink down to half its size, so experiment with it. The possibilities are endless. I hope this helps some of you.

Keep flyin and tyin.

Tony Angelino
    Last edited by Tony.A; 03-16-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Tony,

Really nice looking. Very creative. Thanks for sharing.
    Steve

Tony, I use the same stuff to make eyes. Also, save the lids from coffee cans to make them on.

Squeeze a drop of yellow, red or silver / gray for the iris and a smaller drop of black for the pupil. Then gently tap the lid against the table to flatten out the points that form with the Tulip material. Once the eyes are dry, peel them off and glue them to the fly. I make them a dozen at a time. They work great.

Tight lines, Chris

Thank You, Steve & Chris. I also make eyes out of Tulip. Also found out, if you coat the area with a thin layer of vaseline the eye's will come off easy.

Tony

Blog Entries

Here are a couple of items that need to migrate over to the section for tying tips.

Ed

One of the best tips to come along in quite some time. Very creative way to use this product. Have you used the flies tied with it much? I'm wondering about how durable they would be after being wet for some time.

Thanks for sharing a great tip.

Jim Smith

I use the fabric pant to make eyes directly on my saltwater flies.
    Couldn't be easier.

Also "painting" your leader knots with fluorescent paint makes for an very visible sinking strike indicator
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Jim, Tulip Fabric Paint is the same as Sparkle Body, only cheaper. Tulip can be mixed with acrylic paint, use a marker on it, coat it with nail polish etc. I fish the salt most of the time and have had no problems with it. The sheets and eye's that I have made have a high memory, in other words bending or pulling, the product retains its shape very well.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.A View Post
    Thank You, Steve & Chris. I also make eyes out of Tulip. Also found out, if you coat the area with a thin layer of vaseline the eye's will come off easy.

Tony
    Wonder if you could spray a little PAM?

I do not see why you could not use PAM for a coating, as long as it a very thin coat. When using a paper plate, make sure the plate has a plastic coating, such as Dixie type plate. Actually any petroleum product will work as a precursor. Also petroleum also is a precursor for epoxy, if anyone is interested.

Tony

+ Reply to Thread