+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Bread Machine fanatics here?

I used to make bread by hand when studying at university. I bought a breadmaker when I moved here. My wife and I use it all the time to make bread for our sandwiches. We just use the basic wholemeal recipe that comes in the book with the BM (uh, that's Bread Maker)

2 tsp breadmaker yeast
    350 g whole wheat flour
    1 tbls gluton flour
    1 tbls milk powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbls butter
    1 tbls treacle (or molasses)
    280 ml water

- Jeff

We don't use ours as often as when we first got it, but it sure does make great bread.
    As for Paul & the fresh eggs, that has my mouth watering. I am aware that there is no difference in taste between white & brown eggs, but there SURE is between "store cooler" & "daily farm fresh"!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Thumbs up Bread Machine

HEY jOE, I have a sunbeam bread machine and love fresh baked bread. Mine came with several recipes which are a good starting place and you can improvise from there. I don't like that square loaf shape, so now I usually use the dough program and bake in loaf pans. I just read an article in COOKS ILLUSTRATED magazine about almost no knead bread and have been making it. You bake it in a dutch oven ! Its a really good Artisan type bread, If you wish I can photocopy the receipe and mail it to you. ( my scanner isn't working )
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

We use ours all the time, love the Honey Whole Wheat Bread. It's great with Peanut Butter and Bananas, The credit for this recipe goes to "The National Honey Board"

Honey Whole Wheat Bread (For Bread Machine)
    - Makes 1 loaf -

Ingredients
    1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
    1-1/3 cups bread flour
    2/3 cup whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 cup carrots, grated
    1/4 cup banana, mashed
    1/2 cup water
    2 Tablespoons oil
    2 Tablespoons honey

Directions
    To measure grated carrots accurately, add them to 1/2 cup of water until 3/4 cup level is reached. Repeat procedure with bananas until 1 cup level is reached.
    Place ingredients into pan in order listed.

Select "Normal" program.

Press "Start."

Tips
    An old-fashioned bread with a delicious nutty flavor. For a more pungent flavor and a darker color, try a dark honey.

Note: Honey should not be fed to infants under one year of age. Honey is a safe and wholesome food for children and adults.

National Honey Board
    11409 Business Park Circle Ste 210, Firestone, CO 80504
    Phone: (303) 776-2337 Fax: (303) 776-1177
    Last edited by ohiofly; 03-08-2008 at 03:59 AM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Talking

Ohiofly
    First Welcome Aboard!! I beleive that you are the first to enter a receipe so soon after joining the best site on the web. I predict that you and Joe will become fast friends and open a very chic resturant called "Home Made Bread and SPAM". The residents of Cleveland will Flock to your doors (Clevelandites have always been good flockers) and you both will become rich!
    P.S. I'm still taking bids on the Ambassador Bridge too!

Welcome aboard, Ohiofly!
    Too bad, though, that you're going to get associated as "knowing Joe V." so soon, but at LEAST it wasn't as awful as it COULD have been................. namely, joining, then being associated with Joe V. AND "The Ohio Tuber". (better known, in his own right, as "The Buckeye Bandit", "The Vise Varmint", "Terror Tuber" and of course "Puppy Cheeks").
    Regardless, it's nice you're here! Great site, with some great folks.
    FAOL is quite the "International Fly Fishers/Tier's Site", with members from America, plus many other countries..........such as; South Africa, Australia, Great Britain,Ohio, Canada and New Zealand!!(and, others, which I may have left out, to which I apologize to).
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

And since he bought a pontoon , Ohiopontuber.

I have and use a bread machine all the time. I have tons of recipes but use mostly the french bread dough recipe or the plain white.

I had a Regal model machine in the 1990s I set it atop the stove to make a loaf . We went out for the evening. Our neighbour spotted smoke coming from the kitchen window. ( it was opened a crack in summertime ) He used his key went in and removed a blackened hulk of a loaf of bread. The machine did not turn off as it should have. Most of the smoking was over by the time he found it and it was on the metal stovetop so no danger of fire. We took it outside and plugged it in and sure enough it still wouldn't turn off. No more trusting bread machines . Now we only make bread when we are there and awake able to keep an eye on it.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Cool Alright, I'm sold

Another convert. As I write this the first attempt at bread from the Sunbeam machine is in process. Used the Basic recipe. Can't wait to see (and taste) the results.

Now, here's the rub. Anyone have a recipe for something which might resemble Wonder Bread?
    Yes, I'm still holding out for the good stuff.

This whole discussion has been really interesting, thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    Another convert. As I write this the first attempt at bread from the Sunbeam machine is in process. Used the Basic recipe. Can't wait to see (and taste) the results.

Now, here's the rub. Anyone have a recipe for something which might resemble Wonder Bread?
    Yes, I'm still holding out for the good stuff.

This whole discussion has been really interesting, thanks all!
    I don't know about Wonder Bread, but here are a couple of sites that might give you some other ideas to try:

http://www.qis.net/~champion/bread/main.html (I really like the Egg Bread recipe)

http://www.donogh.com/cooking/bread.shtml

And here's one you can go bonkers trying to make every one of these recipes:

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/b...chine-recipes/

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I've stopped using our bread machine for bread for many reasons, many of which have to do with Betty's problem. Not her problem specifically, mind you, but the whole "50 pounds" thing.

I do use it though to make pizza crust, and occasionally, rolls. I developed a base recipe which you can twiddle with if it suits you...I use the base for the crust as noted and for plain white rolls (close to your Wonderbread, LF) as well as garlic-cheese rolls (Number One Son's favorite), cinnamon rolls, whole wheat rolls and such.

As a disclaimer, I'll say that I'm an intuitive cook. I rarely follow a recipe, and instead see if something I'm doing looks or tastes right.

Here's the base recipe, or as close as I can come:

1 cup of plain yogurt warmed one minute in the microwave
    1/2 stick butter (or best for baking margarine)
    1 teaspoon, MOL, salt
    1/4 cup sugar MOL
    3 cups flour
    1 handful yeast (I'm guessing about a tablespoon from the one-pound brick I buy at Costco)

Set your machine for first rise or the roll setting or whatever it takes. Pull the dough out when appropriate, cut into smallish balls, let rise to double or close to it, spray the tops of the rolls with PAM, and bake at 350 about 15 minutes or until tops brown. Twiddling with this recipe gives you sweet rolls, whole wheat rolls, rolls with cornmeal, etc. It's fun to play but can be hard on the waistline.

+ Reply to Thread