+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catch and Release

Default Catch and Release

I fish a catch and release lake only. My question for the more knowing is this: If the bluegill swallow the hook, is it better to just cut the fly off and let him digest it or try to get it out? The last time I tried to get a really deep one out, I busted the gills and I am sure that although I did not keep the fish, he truly was fish food for some other critter. My fishing friend in Utah says that the acids in a trouts stomach will dissolve the hook in about a week. I do not know about bluegills.

Cardinal,
    Acids dissolving the hook is true for all fish species.
    Certainly better to leave the fly then rip up the poor fish & have it float belly up. A Ketchet
    hook remover is even better then hemostats,
    plus using a barbless hook or at least mashing the hook barb down. With this you will greatly reduce or remove any trauma to the fish that you catch & release.

[This message has been edited by MR.JML (edited 31 August 2005).]

Cut the gills and the fish is history. A bluegill is no different.

Cut the line and he'll be fine; I do it all the time .

Most bluegill lakes wont miss a few -- and is't good food for the turtles. Why are you C&R on bluegills???

Yes sorry about that LF he did say C&R--and I fish large flies so that they dont swallow the hook.
    ------------------

Bill

[This message has been edited by William Fitzgerald (edited 31 August 2005).]

nighthawk Guest

Blue gills are mighty tasty. For any fish hooked deep that you want to release cut the tippet. As mentioned, going barbless helps the fish. When you need to remove the hook the quicker you get the fish back into the water the less stress on the fish. If the fish is bleeding or the gills busted the fish will not survive.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

When asked how he felt during his first American space walk Astronaut Edward White responded "I feel red, white and blue all over".

Bill, he stated the lake is C&R only.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

On C&R Waters, even releasing a wounded fish is not a waste. Even if the fish dies, the fish will help the water maintain it nutrient levels, at all levels of the food chain from plant to game fish.

Many years ago, I read on FAOL, that 15% of all C&R Fish die. I don't remember the source of that statistic, but I do remember the percentage of fish dying from C&R.

~Parnelli

~Parnelli

nighthawk Guest

Sorry. Missed the C&R part myself.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

Air Cavalry all the way! When a voice cries out in distress, we will be there, no matter what the cost.

I never saw a fly a bluegill COULDN'T swallow .

Perfect example of why it's important to pinch the barbs on those hooks. It makes all the difference.

I understand it's a C&R lake, but the bluegill population can get out of hand quickly. Any other types of fish in this lake?

+ Reply to Thread