+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with an Abel Super 2 Reel

Default Help with an Abel Super 2 Reel

Friends:

I just bought (e-bay) an Abel Super 2 reel and cannot get the spool off. I push the button and pull but nothing happens. How do I change the retrieve direction?

Thanks amigos!

Migs

There isn?t a button to push. You remove the locknut with a small coin or screwdriver, which is located on the dragnob, and then unwind the dragnob to remove it. From there, the spool will come off.

Instructions for conversion are on the [url=http://www.abelreels.com/pages/reel-drag-con.htm:ec1cc]Abel web site[/url:ec1cc].

Thanks jjonas! Wow that was a fast help!

Migs

jjonas:

Do you have another page on Abel's site where I can see how the reel goes back together? I try to navigate up in the site hierarchy but it forbids me.

Thanks,

Migs

Got it! A nice guy from Abel (Jeff Patterson) directed me to the diagram on their page.
    [url=http://www.abelreels.com/pages/parts-bg.htm:293fb]http://www.abelreels.com/pages/parts-bg.htm[/url:293fb]

Thanks guys/gals!

Migs

Migs,
    Glad you found some help. I have talked to Jeff on the phone and he is a very nice guy!

You would need to reverse navigate past /pages/ to abelreels.com/ as ?pages? would be a folder without a default page, which is why you got the forbidden message. Not important, just a brief explanation of how that server is set up.

How far did you strip that reel down? I would think that you would just need to remove the spool and reverse the pawl.

Jason

I took it apart only removing the spool and the rod that goes through them and all of a sudden I found myself with piece #20 that I didn't know which way to put back in. Not to criticize Abel reels, but out in the field it would be very easy to loose one of these pieces!

Yes it sure would! That's kind of the design "feature" of draw bar drags. I have had quick release spools fall off after you thought you had the spool back on, never on my Abels. It's a bit of a worry but you learn to be careful. I carry an extra locknut and coin in the reel case, although I have never lost anything.

You may want to do yourself a favor and carry an extra part #1, I use a dime to remove it and it's easy to drop that dang thing.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Its a nice looking reel and I reversed the wind (I'm a right hand retriever) (no not the dog). The thing looks sweet on my 2WT Winston LT! Thanks for the help guys. -Migs

+ Reply to Thread