+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Your strangest injury ??

Blog Entries

Well the obvious one was falling down and breaking my arm at the Idaho Fish in. I Stayed fishing for 2 days after that but then pain finally wore me down. Plus your double haul goes all to heck. I fished one handed a bit but it wasn't much fun. So I drove the 9 1/2 hours back to Canada and free Medical care. Got a neat bright purple cast put on it. But that wasn't really very odd.

The oddest was when I was 17 fishing at Penask lake. I stopped and talked to a fisherman about his catch. His kids were playing near their tent. The boy (around 10 or so ) was trying to shoot a dart with a bow and arrow. When His dad yelled at him to stop The Kid let the dart go. No one saw where it went. They looked for it and even asked me if I saw where it went. Nope I didn't , I watched with amusement as the dad chastised his errant son. I said my goodbyes and headed down to the dock. As I passed the little girl She said Mister its in your leg. I looked down and there was the dart sticking all the way into the side of my leg. I yanked it out. I never felt a thing. The father took the kids darts and flung them out into the lake. Funny thing is I remembered doing the very same thing with a dart when I was younger. Never hit anybody tho. This was in the 60's and the kid got a whupping right then and there. I'm guessing he never did that again.

Now a days of course he wouldn't have been punished but would have been rushed into therapy.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I decline to participate in this session of voluntary disclosure of self inflicted wounds as it is a violation of my 5th Amendment rights to offer testimony that may incriminate me.

However, after reading some of the example the rest of you have graciously posted, I must applaud you for venturing into territory I'd never be willing drug into, I've got to agree that jsmartt has my vote for "Strangest".

I give flybop honorable mention. Walking away from any plan crash is a good thing!

Flyfishfairwx - you get most resilient or would that be unluckiest?

Modocdan - Yikes! Screwed and Boiled. You're a tough hombre. Glad you're okay.

To rest of ya'll - Be Careful Out There!
    Joe Bertolini

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jsmartt View Post
    to my surprise there was a scorpion in them. He nailed me on my man bag. Not good!

LMAO! That takes the cake.

"man bag" LOL
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

well i conceed defeat to jsmartt. but i do have an interesting injury story. this isnt fishing related but its probably my funniest one to date.
    well you see i have a pet snake. its a 3 and a half foot corn snake. well its mouth wasnt big enough yet for me to feed her live mice so i have to feed her frozen ones by hand. (you can probably see where this is going) so the way i feed her is that i put the mouse after letting it thaw for a couple hoursin a box, and then i put her in it. she usually eats it with out a problem, but sometimes she needs a little persuading. so i just dangle it in front of her untill she bites. now i have fast enough reflexes to when she thrusts for the mouse, i can get my hand out of the way.
    well oneday, some of the little neighbor kids wanted to see the snake eat. so me, not forseeing any kind of problem says "sure". so i put the mouse in the box and then the snake. put because the kids where there i didnt have time to wash my hands inbetween doing so. and this also happened to be one of those instinces where the snake needed some persuading. so i picked up the mouse and started to dangle it in front of her. so at this point she sees a warm object that smells like mouse holding a cold object that smells like mouse.
    naturally she went for the warm one.
    the kids screamed and ran out of the house while i was stuck with a 3 and a half foot snake firmly attached to my hand. now when a snake bites you, its fangs go in pretty far. so if you try and just yank it off, you could break its fangs and very well kill it. so i basically had to sit and wait for 3 years (actually only 5 minutes) for the dang thing to DECIDE to let go.
    ....theres probably a moral in there somewhere...

Before fly fishing, was on a grassy slope of a farm pond catching gills in a light rain on a Sunday afternoon. Was sitting on my cooler, got up to play a large gill, & feet went out from under me on the wet grass. I came down on the corner of the cooler, breaking a rib (per the ER visit). The heck of it was that I still golfed then & our golf league tournament quarterfinal was the next day. We were favored to win the tourney & my partner had played the previous Friday as he couldn't make it Monday. On Monday, I called the league president & asked how partner Steve had done. Dave told me my "blind score" should take it, then called me back & told me he was wrong, that I would need 5 points to win. Well, I decided to play! With God as my caddy (He MUST have been!), I birdied the first FIVE holes to win it....then went to "H" in a hand basket! Oh, we DID win the tourney that year, although not painlessly.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Talking injuries?

Well, 5 yrs old, "worm" bit my thumb and it swelled up, was a baby prairie rattler. 12Years old, another rattler bit my foot, tennis shoes instead of leather boots, by the way, I am immune to the vemon, it makes me sick to my stomach is all, THANK GOD! Ninteen, lost first knuckle ring finger right hand between cement chute and 2x4, didn't feel it because hands were blue from cold, was -10 and windy at job sight in December,,,Wyoming.
    Burned back of left hand with 1200 degree flyash about five years ago, but minimal scaring even with 2nd and 3rd degree burns. Other injuries, several dislocations, both shoulders, most fingers, and both knees.
    Arthritis is a friend of mine. HOWEVER, have never had any injuries other than to the PRIDE while fishing! That water is COLD in them mountain streams and lakes!!!!!!!!!

Forgot the twisted ankle hunting that wasn't set right until a year later when wife and I were in China, went for a foot massage and the little gal found the out of place bone and reset it. Hurt for half a second and has been great ever since!
    Last edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff; 03-07-2008 at 03:56 AM. Reason: old age,,,forgetting stuff
    Wyo-Blizzard

Thirty years ago I was working as a deck hand on a 130ft survey vessel out of St Croix. We were testing sonar equiptment with submarines out over the Puerto Rican trench. I saw the birds working the surface so I went into the reefer and grabbed up a pre-rigged ballyhoo on a steel leader attached to a 60lb hand line. Went to the stern swung the line and put it in the middle of the birds. A instant strike and the line started peeling off my hand reel. I got the fish stopped and started winding it in. Dolphin and a big male!! I got it close enough to the boat, handed my handline to another and got ahold of the leader. I didn't have a gaff so I hung off the stern with one arm. I slipped and ended up in the water with the fish. By the time I got out, with the fish by the way, both shins were barked and my hands were a mess from the handline and the leader. I took the fish to the cook and he weighed it 34lbs. We ate pretty good for the next few days.
    See you on the trail, Grunt

Never been injured fishing...Lucky I reckon. But two injuries come to mind. 1st was climbing on the rafters of the garage with step-brothers (age about 12). When time to come down I was dangling from the rafter and "thought" I had the barrel squarely under me, that we used to get up there in the first place. Nope! Let go and the edge of the barrel caught me square between the legs. I'll let your imagination take it from here. Hurt like nobodies business. Swelled up and major bruising, but no major damage (have 3 boys to prove it).
    Other one that comes to mind is when a cutting torch slipped in my hand and the flame went across the top of my other hand. That smarted a bit, then quit hurting, but as soon as the doc put salve on it, ouch!!!!
    Otherwise, no injuries that really stick in my mind short of when the horse hit the gate, the gate hit me, just above the right eye. Fortunately, I'm hard headed. Just a nice cut above the eye, that bled like a stuck hog.
    Last edited by sandhiller; 03-09-2008 at 06:30 AM.

+ Reply to Thread