+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Zealand in October?

Default New Zealand in October?

The family and I will be in New Zealand from Oct. 4 to 14. I have searched the board archives and there is some great advice about NZ fishing, but none exactly on our schedule.
    The trip is meant to be a social/reunion get together and not a fishing trip, but I can't go to NZ and not fish. We will stay on the north island, and I'm looking for advice on areas, rivers, streamsn, backcountry hikes, etc.
    I enjoy a good hike, and I can probably talk my wife and daughter (who don't fish)into a day hike or two that coincidentally get me to some good water.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Charlie

I have not fished the north island. But that country is amazing and beautifull. You will definitely love it.
    My experience down south was mostly sight fishing large browns. For me thats about as good as it gets.

Hankdog, E.Mail me and I'll try to get you sorted. Need to know where in the N.I. you will be staying. The New Season opens on the 1st Oct. So you are in luck, depending on the weather. With any luck you should have a ball. Jax

------------------
    I'm a much better Fly fisher when talking fishing, than when I'm Actually Fly fishing!
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

Hank Dog,

Definetly get in contact with JAX. He was instrumental in helping me plan my trip last year. A true gentleman. Even caught my 1st NZ brown trout on a fly he supplied. The soon to be famous (JAX roughy). ThankX JAX!

You should plan a guide trip with his friend Miles Rushmer. JAX is in Tauranga and Miles in Mount Maunganui (Bay of Plenty area). Cities are right next to each other and a Beatiful 2 1/2 hour drive from Auckland. Mount Maunganui is where a lot of the Kiwi's go for their vacation in the summer.

Miles is an outstanding guide. I very highly recommend him. He also does fly fishing in the ocean as well as the traditional NZ walk and stalk trout. The MT. Maunganui area is great for the family with shopping, restruants, and the beach all with in walking distance.

NZ customs is very strict on what goes into the country. Besure to delcare all food (even apples and peanuts from your flight) and any fishing equipment. If you don't it is a steep fine on the spot....something like $150-200. They take there Bio security very seriously.

I have traveled all over the world and New Zealand is one of my favortie places. The scenery and the warm friendly people are outstanding.

Hope this helps. If you want some more info. E-mail me.

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

Thanks for the kind words John. I sure hope the "Roughy" can live up to it's reputation, and that it has done or will do you proud.

Looks as though the New Season [opens 1st Oct] could be a good one. Winter very wet but only two flushes and they were not too bad.

Roll on Spring and Summer. Jax,

------------------
    I'm a much better Fly fisher when talking fishing, than when I'm Actually Fly fishing!
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

JAX is the MAN! Unbeknownest to him I've been involved in a lot of stream restoration work in western MN. The stream he recommended has been used in numerous presentations ever since I was down under. I fished the South Island back in 1976 and was doing a story on a dairy farmer outside of Christchurch somewhere and had a great afternoon of fishing on a stream going through his farm. Nothing like you'd ever see around Queenstown or in the exotic places. Just a farm stream on the South Island. Never caught trout like that before or since. But, I don't have one heck of a lot of opportunity either. But the stream JAX put us on was a beauty in terms of restoration work. JGW

[This message has been edited by white43 (edited 25 August 2005).]

I?d suggest 3 sites for you to visit ?.

[url=http://www.fishandgame.org.nz/:22afa]http://www.fishandgame.org.nz/[/url:22afa]
    These guys are responsible for managing the fishery, you can buy your lice3nce online & purchase Anglers access maps

[url=http://www.nzpfga.co,nz:22afa]www.nzpfga.co,nz[/url:22afa]
    The Guides association web site ? just in case you want to use a guide

[url=http://shop.flylife.com.au/:22afa]http://shop.flylife.com.au/[/url:22afa]
    If you want to read up about the fishery?

One to look out for is

North Island Trout Fishing Guide by John Kent

Good luck

Felix

------------------

Owen River Lodge
    Fly Fishing at its very best
    Owen Valley East Road, Murchison
    South Island, New Zealand
    Tel:+ 64 3 523 9075
    [url=http://www.OwenRiverLodge.co.nz:22afa]www.OwenRiverLodge.co.nz[/url:22afa]

[This message has been edited by OwenRiverLodge (edited 29 August 2005).]

I was there for a family trip too two years ago and had a great time steelheading on the Tongariro River near Lake Taupo. I fished on the last day of September, and we used large heavy nymphs. The town of Taupo is very much geared toward fishing of all types, so there are great shops to check out and the inns and restaurants are generally well prepared for early breakfasts and cooking the odd keeper for you if you so desire...let me rephrase that. Catch and release doesn't seem to have caught on there. My guide continued to encourage me to keep fish even though I told him I was headed back to Auckland that day and had no cooler or means to cook.

FYI, in order to prevent the spread of an invasive species of mite found in chicken feathers I was advised that customs usually won't, but could take tying materials, but won't touch tied flies. Go figure? By the way, the exchange rate makes flies over there pretty cheap if you're looking to stock up.

If you will be around Rotorua and want a guide, I can recommend Ernie Skudder (www.troutfly.co.nz) I fished with him last Dec. and got my moneys worth and a workout hiking along 2 small blackberry infested streams. Several nice rainbows! Allyn

10. Default

Try this New Zealand forum:
    [url=http://www.flyshop.co.nz/new_zealand_fly_fishing_forum.htm:4690e]http://www.flyshop.co.nz/new_zealand_fly_fishing_forum.htm[/url:4690e]

The main people on this just started forum are New Zealand guides and knowledgeable fishermen.

+ Reply to Thread