+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overcoming Doubts

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich View Post
    Something happened in that few minutes that has influenced my fishing ever since. The most important thing was how beautiful and fragile that little brookie was. And how it was important not to do him harm and to try to put things back right as though you had never been there. ... Godspeed,

Bob
    This brings to the surface something I had not thought of before about what we do when we are out on the water.

For me, soul is our connection to the universe, to include what ever notion of a higher power you have.

The time we spend on the water is "soulful," a time of connection. When I think about all the threads and replies I've read about the fishing part of fishing on this board, it is a constant theme, whether it is about the fish, the setting, the wildlife, the birds and raptors, or our families and friends.

Thanks, Bob, for bringing that thought to the surface.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Betty, I feel a real debt of gratitude to whoever it was that landed that first rainbow that you saw. Otherwise, we might not have you here with us today. It is something for all of us to consider the next time that we meet a "worm dunker" on the stream.

Ed

I got into fly fishing becasue Igot a $10.00 dollar setup for a rod, automatic, reel , line and two of those round plastic cntainers of flies. One was poppers.

The next Saturday I was out fixshing and the bluegills were right against the bank.
    Spinning gear did not get them. I tied a fly , parting the "Red Sea" on the first cast.
    I did manange to get the fly to near the fish and caught some of them.

Now you are stuck with me.

Rick

At age 3, I picked up my grandfather's bamboo fly rod and began to wave it like I had seen him do so many times before. Since I was a very gifted child, it only took a few minutes for me to master the coordination, and soon I was laying out precision casts at 35-50', and filling the creel with trout for dinner. My parents were thrilled to see another of my gifts rise to the surface, and before long they had me on the casting circuit winning trophy's in my age class. Tying flies followed shortly, along with building cane rods, and the rest is just history. (and baloney like this was. He, he, he, he, he...)

Joseph the Gifted
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

Default And he said unto me..

Well...one evening, I had a dream.

I saw a light. And out of the light came Brad Pitt.

And Brad saideth unto me-eth:

"Larry...of the Bad Luck variety....thou wilt go out and fisheth unto the fisheth with an affordable rodeth and casteth fies.
    " Just remember Larry...don't get behind the card game at Lola's: It will be a sad ending if you do."

The whole thing of flyfishing is a pretty incredible story for me (as it is for just about everyone here; a story to tell)and something I won't drag out ( Oh yeah...NO DRAG WHATSOEVER!). But the essential thing to say is that I was fortunate enough to have found a mentor, Jack Van Volkenburg who taught me to flyfish and tie. Took me to all sorts of places; opened his life and home. Unfortunately, we're not on speaking terms anymore which is very sad. But nevertheless, I'm indebted to him and his lovely wife Sue for everything they've done for me and my family,and always will.

If someone had come up to me when I was eighteen (didn't even THINK of fishing then) and said..."Larry; You'll be flyfishing for trout on the Ausable River in N.Y. when you're 32.".....I would have said "You must be kidding!"

Well, here I am. And to be honest, every time I'm on the water all I can think of is.."This must be a dream."
    I hope I never wake up.

Be healthy everyone!
    Drag free.

Layer-ee

+ Reply to Thread