+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mpg

If killing fish is a problem, then anyone who kills them becomes, by definition, part of the problem.

Likewise, if using gas is a problem, then anyone using it becomes, by definition, part of the problem. Albeit, a smaller part but, none-the-less, a part.

When the smaller offenders mock the bigger offenders, it becomes a matter of degree. Monks in Tibet would have very small need for refined gasoline.
    And vegetarians seem to survive.

I make no excuses and cast no stones. Drive whatever you feel you need to for whatever reason. I'm okay with that. But be aware, they all burn hydrocarbon fuel. Even the electric ones get their power from somewhere.

Godspeed,

Bob

I get around 17 city and 20 highway. When I lived in Michigan it was a 16 mile round trip to the grocery store and a 60 mile round trip to go to Wally World, Home Depot, etc. Here in TN it's 5 miles to get groceries and 12 to go to WW or Lowe's. I try and plan my trips to cut out any unnecessary driving. I like my old Jeep (pushing 150,000 mi.) as it is great for hauling the 'toon and fishing gear. Of course being retired helps to conserve fuel. For those with a long drive to work everyday a high mpg vehicle makes very good sense.

Jeff, I had a 75 'vette. The only way to tell it from the 76 was the size of the "Corvette" letters on the rear!

I have a 2003 Acura TL Type S. This is a 3.2 liter six-cylinder. It runs on premium gasoline. Around town I get 26 mpg. Highway mpg is around 30 (doing between 65-75 mph). Highway mpg during commute hours mpg is around 26. Not bad for a performance rated car. It does a heck of a lot better than our '04 Toyota Sienna which gets around 18 mpg in town and 24 mpg on the highway.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Your Toyota numbers are definitely skewed. I have a 2005 Tacoma and a 2006 4runner with the same six cylinder that get 19-22 mpg. The 4runner has a computer display mode that shows mpg at all times and there is a huge drop even on the highway if you use cruise control over 80 mph. My best was 22.9 at about 63 mph on a flat 100 mile trip.

Quote Originally Posted by TaylinLoop View Post
    Your Toyota numbers are definitely skewed. I have a 2005 Tacoma and a 2006 4runner with the same six cylinder that get 19-22 mpg. The 4runner has a computer display mode that shows mpg at all times and there is a huge drop even on the highway if you use cruise control over 80 mph. My best was 22.9 at about 63 mph on a flat 100 mile trip.
    TaylinLoop -

Shortly after I first got my '97 Tacoma, I ran into a fellow at Great Basin National Park in eastern Nevada who had an identical rig, except for exterior color and interior trim, that was also a couple months old and also had around 4,000 miles on it. At that time, I was getting closer to 28-29 miles per gallon without cruise control, but a very steady foot driving mostly on highways at 55-60 mph. He was from the San Francisco area, ran his truck on crowded highways at 70-80 mph, and mixed in quite a bit of city driving conditions. He was getting 19 miles per gallon.

I've talked to several other guys who have '05 Tacomas like yours and mine. They are usually in a hurry, have heavy foots, and do more city driving that I do. They also average around 20 mpg overall. On a trip back from California a couple years ago, I wanted to save a couple hours in the saddle and put it on cruise at 75. My mpg dropped to around 21 for that trip. Driving the way I usually do, I consistently run 25-26 mpg.

John
    The fish are always right.

I believe that Gas prices were highest in 1981, if you adjust gas for the price of inflation. Gas went threw a period of almost 25 years where it didnt go up, as inflation was continuing to rise. The price of gas is kind of overblown, IMO.

I pay less now driving per mile than i did when gas was $1.00

8 years ago, when gas was a dollar i drove a 78 jeep wagoneer with a 401 big block. I got around 7-10 mpg.

Now i drive a stick shift, 4 banger, suby outback. And i get 21-25 mpg.

I also own an old chevy truck with a 350 that sees less than 2-3 thousand miles per year. It pretty much just gets driven in the mountains. Its expensive to drive. I couldnt afford driving around one of these as my primary vehicles.

In 10 more years, i see myself still in a vehicle getting around 20-30 mpg, but who knows.

2000 Neon sticker was 27-32 I average 33. 75% of time on highway.
    1999 Grand Caravan I have noe clue what the sticker is but it averages 22.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    I drive a 2WD, 3/4 ton 2003 Chevy Express van for work and fishing. 11-12 in the city and 17 tops on the highway. It has the towing package which limits the mileage. Actual is right on the money with estimated.

Joe

Joe, if you would reduce the amount of emergency Spam that you carry in that van by a quarter-ton or so, I'll bet you mileage would improve. Or at least the van's mileage...

Ed

I suppose I am the problem...
    My wife drives a 2002 Monte Carlo it gets 22 in town, and 32 on the highway (36 going down hill from Colorado to Kansas).

I drive a 3/4 Chevy Pickup, with an extended Cab and a full size box. Couldn't get it in standard so it has the auto transmision with the towing package. I get 11 miles to the gallon with premium gas. I get 11 on the high way. I get 11 in town. I get 11 with a full load in the bed. I get 11 with the a/c on. I get 11 with the a/c off. I get 11 mpg.

Ed

I drive a 2004 VW Passat. I average about 26 MPG with a mix of city and highway driving. Most mornings I get over 30 MPG going to work (freeway driving @ 70 MPH), and most evenings I get about 25 MPG depending on traffic. I'm not sure anymore what the EPA mileage is supposed to be, but my numbers are pretty close to those of other Passat owners.

Nobody has mentioned this so I thought I would throw it out there. All 2008 model year cars now have to use the new EPA mileage standards. The old standards were created in the late 70s and early 80s and were based on freeway driving at 55 MPH and city driving of 35 MPH. I don't know many areas where the speedlimit on the freeway is 55 anymore (where I live the average speed is more like 70-75 MPH), and the new mileage standards take this into account. I believe for freeway driving they are 65MPH and for city 40 MPH. In most cases this has lowered the EPA MPG for most cars. I know in the case of the Prius it knocked a lot off the EPA estimates (which as I recall didn't please Toyota all that much).

Brian

+ Reply to Thread