+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today:

Default Today:

I mentioned a few weeks ago about a private portion of creek I fish. the location of this very special place is where my father grew up, his mother before him, and her parents before her and so on. The farm house faces north with the stream on the east side of the house, running north to south. To the left, or west side of the house is a little cemetery. It sits on a little hill overlooking the farm house and the stream. It is very special as well. this is all about 15 minutes from where I currently live.

today, I took my grandson, who is 14, to the creek to fish. I take him and his two sisters fishing but is is my grandson who is taking the fishing seriously. Just last year, he held a fly rod for the first time. He is somewhat of a natural born athlete and just loves the outdoors and everything to do with it.

We didn't take anything except our fly rods and two flies. It is preferable to fish this stream from the water as there are so many trees overhanging the water and so much tall grass and brush on the banks. Needless to say, I lost my fly after a dozen casts and was unable to retrieve it. I walked over to where my grandson was and was rather stunned. Now please understand, the only instruction in casting my grandson has had is from me, and I don't know how to at all. He was doing things with that fly rod and line I have never seen or heard of before. He was laying casts between trees, under overhangs, and around brush pile. I could only watch in amazement. The fact the wind was blowing fairly hard and complicating things made it only more beautiful to watch him. I am passing him the mantle of which I never had.

We didn't stay long as this was just to get out of the house. Before we left, we headed up on the hill to the little cemetery so that we could spend a little time with our family, my grandson with his mother ( my daughter), my father, his mother and several uncles and aunts as well as great great grandparents.

In the truck, on the way home, there wasn't a whole lot of conversation. I believe my grandson summed up what we were both thinking by saying the only thing said. " Gran dad, it was a perfect day".

I just wanted to share my day and how proud of my grandchildren I am. I sure love them.
    Steve

Default Perfect Day

His words say it all, Grandad.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Steve,
    That is a wonderful story!
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that. Wonderful story.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Thumbs up

Steve,
    Beautifully stated, & having seven Grandchildren of my own, I know the very special love you share with yours. There is nothing like it.
    God Bless,
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Great post, Steve and a very moving story. Loved reading it.
    Crackleback (Bob A)

Also a prefect post to spread good feelings of a
    wonderful time you spent together..

Thanks for sharing..

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Indeed, a very special day! Thank you for sharing it with us!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

My Son and Grandson 14 and I fished several times last Spring, Summer and early fall. Late fall My Son and I planned a last trip before the lakes ice up, to a special mountain lake. I asked my Grandson to come with us. He replied very seriously. Sorry Grampa but I seem to have discovered girls.

My Son and I just nodded our heads and let it go. We have probably lost his company for a while but sooner or later I know He will be back. He does love to fish.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Steve,
    THANK YOU!

+ Reply to Thread