+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trip to Loreto

Default Trip to Loreto

I?m taking a trip to Loreto (Baja) on May 23rd for 8 days. I was wondering if anyone has fished there that time of year. Is there any fishing from shore for bonefish or any other desirable species? From the information I have acquired on the internet there is a possibility for rooster fish but it seems like its hit and miss. Also it looks like I will arrive right at the end of yellowtail season and right at the beginning of Dorado season. Hopefully weather patterns will sway one way or another to keep a good supply of one or the other there.
    I?ll be going down there with a buddy?s family and I plan on renting panga?s a few days and fishing for Cabrilla, Snapper, Dorado??, Marlin?? whatever bites? In the downtime I would really like to fish the flats on the fly. Any info would be appreciated ie: type of gear to take, flies, rods etc. Feel free to PM me if its secretive.
    Thanks
    ~Blaine

You might check on Dan Blantons website. Usually has info on that area. (danblanton.com)

Kudos to you Castwell.
    Recommending another man?s board.
    Blanton?s Board is probably the best info site for Saltwater, Loreto & Delta fishing on the West Coast.
    By the way Blaino it is at: http://www.danblanton.com/bulletin.php
    FFF Life Member #22

I've been there many times, I actually go to Las Barrillas, about 45 minutes NE of Las Cabos. The best panga fishing will be for Dorado. I would take a cruiser out a day or 2 and do a little marlin fishing, the striped marlin are in the Sea of Cortez and the fishing is good, you could also run upon tuna & dorado too. I have never seen a bonefish there. I usually bring a 10wt (the dorado there run around 25-49lbs) and a 15wt (striped marlin will run 75 to 200 lbs)
    Last edited by Ray; 03-01-2008 at 01:22 PM.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

+ Reply to Thread