+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best head cement

Default Best head cement

Perhaps this was posted before...I did a search and nothing "directly" pertaining to this popped up. Soooo...I'm looking for a consensus on "The Best Head Cement".

Is there a standout? I'm very limited as to what is available so a source for the best would be good to know. Thanks...Standing by
    :O)

Blog Entries

Wink

Your question is alot like "what is the best automobile" lots of right answers. More information on what type of fish you fish for, what type of flies you tie etc would be helpful.

For General use I suggest you go get a bottle of Sally Hansons clear nail polish cut the brush in half width wise and shorten it by a third. (if you cant find SH buy what ever is cheepest at the local store)
    I say this beceause it is inexpensive and works.

Ill sit back now and watch the fun.

Eric

I like Sally Hansens Hard as Nails, it can be purchased anywhere they sell Nail Polish. I get mine from Walmart. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

My favorite, when I use a head cement, would be the water based head cement by Loon. I don't use HC often, as 90% of my flies live only long enough to be hung up in the willow trees!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

My favorites is Griff thin. Is it the BEST hc, for my use it is.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Salmo,

Depends, of course, on your definition of 'best'.

First, decide what you want the 'head cement' you use to actually do.

Do you just want something to hold the thread in place? Does how it 'look' matter? Whether or not it penetrates? Do you have an aversion to useing solvent based chemicals?

CA glues like Zap, Bondini, the super glues, are very strong and hold thread well. Not really 'pretty' and if they stray from where you put them, can casue problems with the rest of the fly. Expensive stuff in the long run, too. Best thing about these, you can use it in place of a whip finish or half hitch where it's difficult to tie a knot...

The nail polishes, Sally Hansen's type stuff, work well for looks, and are strong, but don't penetrate very well unless you thin them. Again, costly because it comes in such small containers, but not too bad. A good choice if you want to add 'shine' to materials or build up shiny multi coat heads.

You can buy the stuff made for fly fishing and sold as 'head cement' from catalog houses or your local fly shop-many different ones, with many different properties. Thick, thin, solvent or water based...etc..Again, pricey but they work.

Lacquer. You can get a quart of 'gloss brushing lacquer' at any paint store, WalMart, hardware stores, etc.. More trouble to get it ready to use, as you'll need a container to 'use' it from. Nice thing about this, with some lacquer thinner and a couple of small bottles, you can have thin head cement AND thick head cement from the same material just by adjusting how much thinner you do or don't put in it. Makes very shiny, durable heads with multi coats, holds thread well with just one application. Due to it's properties, it leaves little solids behind, so it adds less weight to the fly when that's an advantage. Most cost effective over the long run, a quart of lacquer will last even a prolific fly tyer five to ten years....

If solvent based chemicals are a problem for you, you can use clear acrylic 'lacquer'. Found in the craft sections at big box stores or at the local art/craft/sewing shops, it's inexpensive and works fine. Only drawback is that it dries a bit slower than the regular lacquer.

I use several different chemical 'head cements' based on the application. If I had to use just one, it would be the lacquer.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

SALMO your location and the flies you must tie would look great with what I use on large flies-- as others have added, SallyHensen red or black and clear nail polish as a final coat. The area head cement that most use is FLY-TITE derived from plants and ethyl alcohol. BILL

I second the FlY-TITE, although I have Sally Hansons and Rumpf.
    Steve

Salmo : I prefer Cellire for my flies . You should be able to get it from Bryant Freeman in Riverview , New Brunswick........Frank

It depends on the application.

Griff's Thin for general work and most fishing flies

Several coats of Griff's followed by Sally Hanson if I want a smooth shiny head

Several coats of Griff's; followed by Sally Hanson, Rumpf or Hille; followed by Pro Lac for show flies

+ Reply to Thread