+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glueing foam

Default glueing foam

I'm trying to make a loop out of some closed cell foam tubing. I've tried several of the Loctite and other type of super glues and melting. Nothing works. I can't hold the loop together, it springs apart. does anyone know of a glue made for foam tubing (it's called backing rod) that works quickly??
    Thanks,
    SweetStreamS

I have a bottle of ZAP-O that is made for styrofoam & foam but it is expensive . I have glued up foam sheets with contact cement a dry coat on each piece and put together. BILL

Instead of butt ends together, could you do a half lap connection?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Plio-Bond or Barge Cement are heavy duty contact adhesives that should work on closed cell foams. Make sure you follow directions on the label, you need to coat both surfaces and allow the first coat to dry fully, then applay a second coat and let it dry until tacky, then press together for an for a permanant bond. You might try slicing the jointed ends at a 45 degree angle for a larger mating surface, much more surface area than a 90 degree butt joint.

Default glueing foam

Thanks for the suggestions. What I'm trying to make is a "donut" so lapping won't work. The angle cut would be O.K. the problem is trying to hold the ends together until the adhesive holds. I've waited as long as 5 minutes (as long as a type "A" like me can stand it) and the ends still pop apart. Just what I need is frustration. Maybe I can go to Home Depot and find foam rings of some type that will work. The pipe insulation tubes aren't quite the size I need. I do use slices of it to pre-rig multiple fly leaders though.
    SweetStreamS

If you use the Barge contact cement...or other contact cement...as has been suggested....I believe it will hold immediately...in fact you'd better get it placed correctly the first time....do let the first layer dry though...

What are you going to do with the loop when you make it? Just curious.

Talking glueing foam

I was afraid someone would ask me this. By the way I think I have found some 1 and 1/8 inch foam pipe insulation that will work for me.

Here goes at trying to explain why -- I have a commercial tube called a "tackle buddy" the small one. It works great for carrying leaders that are pre fabbed for multiple flies ie hopper, dropper rigs.
    If it's carried in a vest, or anywhere else, the hooks have the potential for snagging on things plus the flies can be ruffled from bouncing against things. I found that the tube fits inside a Crystal Lite drink plastic tube container. Problem is it still bounces around. Wit a foam donut who's inside diameter fits around each end and who's outside diameter fits the inside diameter of the Crystal Lite container the flies will be protected and will not snag on anything. Aren't you sorry you asked? I have found tandem flies to be very productive where I fish for trout/Steelhead and it's nice to not have to make up the leaders on stream.
    Sweet

Heck! I think you explained that perfectly well! I can even "see" what you've made! (I may, even, steal your NON-pattened? design for my own steelhead setups!
    I'd really try the Barge as suggested AND also, as suggested "be ready to put the ends together ONLY ONCE!
    I dropped a bit on the floor once and the cat stepped in it. We've had to bring, food water and a very low entry litter box TO THE CAT, now and it's been 2 years.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As Ducksterman suggested, the contact cement will bond 'on contact' if used correctly. No clamping required. I have used Barge Cement and Plio-Bond for white water raft repairs, leather shoe repairs and countless other applications, the bond is usually stronger than the surrounding material, but can be un-done with a heat gun.

If the foam tube is hollow why not just thread some fine cordage through the center, make the connection with a simple knot. Might be easier than about making a joint in the foam.

+ Reply to Thread