+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ice dubbing

Default ice dubbing

seen this ice dubbing and had to get it. look at the irridesence in this stuff! now you can add it to all your nymphs and get a sparkle out of um! any guys use this ice dub? any patterns I should try? this should really work great for the steelhead around here and any other fish for that matter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

fishaholic69
    I use it only for steelhead flys, but not strait out of the dubbing box. I use it as part of a blend of dubbings I mix together for my flys. never thought about blending it in to my trout flys,...... wait steel head are a trout
    Ghost.

ya I have both nymph life cycle dubbing and superfine dry fly dubbing dispensers also. I will blend with what I use there. what is the blend ratio of ice dub to regular dub? I will make some flys with it soon
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Blog Entries

It's great stuff!

I use the peacock color to replace peacock herl in any fly. Pheasant tail nymphs for example, I will use it for the thorax, or use it in a dubbing loop for a peacock woolly bugger.

I have never mixed it, or felt the desire to, and it works straight from the bag so I don't bother.

Have Fun!
    Post some pictures of the finished flies when you tie some up with the ice dub!
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

I agree with Flyandtie; I use it straight out of the bag.

Here's SOME of the things I do with it:
    • I really like the Peacock Black. I use it for the thorax on tiny midge emergers and as the thorax on Tricos. If you use some tacky tying wax, you can twist it pretty tight and small enough to dub on tiny flies. I also make fur ants with a blend of Ice Dub & Superfine dubbing for a more subtle sparkle.
    • It is great in a dubbing loop or split thread for shaggy flies.
    • I found that a blend of the Pearl & Peacock Black is almost a perfect color match & works great on my Green Drake spinner (Coffin Fly) imitation.
    • I also use it almost exclusively on my EWC. I feel the sparkle combined with the elk wing simulates movement. The trout haven't told me that I'm right, but I do catch a LOT of fish with my Yellow Sally Stonefly imitation which is nothing more than an EWC using the lightest tan elk I can find with yellow palmered hackle over Yellow Ice Dub.
    • I tie nymphs with a ball of Gold or Silver Ice Dub at the head to give me a beadhead look on an unweighted nymph for the super skinny places I like to fish were a regular beadhead gets hung up all the time.
    Yea, I'd say the stuff has worked out great for me. Like with all materials in fly tying; you are only limited by your own creativity.

Great stuff...

Be aware there are many more colors than what you have...

I also use it when making my own dubbing brushes....

thanks for all the ideas. ya I seen a whole other dubbing pack. but it was called steelhead ice dub. funny thing tho is that all the orange ,chartruese, and pink was missing. the good colors up here for steels. thats why I didn't get the ice dub in steelhead and got this one instead.
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Blog Entries

The caddis pupa in this link is tied with olive ice dubbing. I have also used it for the bodies on wooly buggers and micro jigs.
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...3/IMG_0053.jpg
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Default Now we're talking

I love Ice Dub and some similar dubbings. STS trilobal dubbing is also awsome stuff and very similar. It's finer in diameter than Ice Dub and comes in some great colors.

These are done with the STS trilobal

Ice Dub Thorax

Bodies on soft hackles

Hackle-less bugger with STS trilobal

I like to use the STS for smaller and tighter bodies. I don't have any pictures, but buggers with mixed colors are awsome.
    Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Quote Originally Posted by fishaholic69 View Post
    thanks for all the ideas. ya I seen a whole other dubbing pack. but it was called steelhead ice dub. funny thing tho is that all the orange ,chartruese, and pink was missing. the good colors up here for steels. thats why I didn't get the ice dub in steelhead and got this one instead.
    You may not be interested but they can be purchased in individual packages...I know of one site that has 30 colors listed and another 25 .....no postage

+ Reply to Thread