+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alignment Dots

Norman, I also read your post as being critical... FYI. I don't think expecting everyone to go into great depth on such matters is necessary or fair, and in this case the possible concerns pretty easily assumed if you had taken a moment to consider it. Why can't folks just stick to answering questions without asking unnecessary questions instead?

TL's~
    Last edited by GRN; 02-26-2008 at 03:06 PM.
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    i simply asked a question and did not criticize anybody for needing dots on their fly rods. maybe a little more explaination in the original post would have clarified why the dots are needed. nobody can read into the original post that the poster is visually impaired. so you shouldnt criticize why i asked a simple question.

i too have vision problems and have to wear bifocals to see what i'm doing half the time. i also have a different pair of glasses that i have to wear while work 10 hours a day in front of a computer.
    Normand,

As the original poster I felt the question was pretty self explanatory with no further explanation necessary.

The bottom line is, regarless of why I want alignment dots on my rods, I do and that should have been sufficient. I agree completely with GRN in that your post was, while not intentionally critical, critical none the less.

Please understand that my response to your post was not an attack at you or anyone else for that matter. I felt that I answered the question you asked honestly. If you feel otherwise, I sincerely appologize as attacking you not my intention.

Tight lines,
    Brian

p.s. My vision is 20/60 in both eyes, I just have a strong astigmatism in my dominant eye that makes straight lines hard to see.

Brian,

back to the nail polish idea... here's a metric for you (and don't be laughin' at me, man... ):

Sometime around the end of Nov. my 4 year old daughter wanted to paint my toe nails... so being the good Dad I am (I said NO laughing, dammit!), I compromised and let her paint my right big toe nail. I have hiked, played soccer, been walking gulf coast beaches bare foot... and if you saw my shoes, would know I'm generally pretty rough on my feet. In the interest of not wanting to put more toxic crap on me to remove it, and wanting to see just how long it would last, I have let it take a natural course.

My conclusion: I wish the paint on my house and rides would hold up this well... 3 months on my foot and the portion of the nail that was originally painted (it's about half grown out) is still quite impressively intact with next to no defects or sign of wear... at this rate I believe I will grow it off way before it wears off.

Maybe I'll repaint my Triumph with this stuff

TL's~

GRN,

Too funny. I tried not laugh....no really I did! As the father of 3 year old and 2 month old girls I see lots of nail polish and makeup in my future. To offset this I'm teaching my 3 year old to fly cast (with limited success so far), and will do the same with my 2 month old when she is old enough.

Thanks for the story.

Brian

Brian,

Draw the line at make up... trust me, digital cameras are evil. I'm the subject of some widely published images (family, riding buddies, coaches, etc...) that vividly capture a very brief but deep lapse of sanity in which I allowed myself to be 'dressed like Mommy'... yeah, I hear you, laughing all the way from down there!

Wow, 3:1... you're screwed, man!

TL's~
    Last edited by GRN; 02-28-2008 at 03:26 AM.

Go over to rodbuilding.org and on the side menu is a place called "decal connection" they make alignment dot decals in several styles. and they are cheap enough that you could do all your rods and some of your friends.

Sharpie makes a silver metallic paint pen in 3 or 4 different sizes. I use a Sharpie poster-paint metallic silver extra fine point to do exactly what you are talking about. put the rod together, put the dots on with the pen (shake it very very well, hold it perpendicular to the place where you want the dot and a light touch will do just fine), then apply a light coat of hard as nails over the top of it and you are good to go. If you are just building a rod, apply it directly to the blank if you like and epoxy over the top of it. Allow the silver 20 to 30 minutes to completely dry first.

Quote Originally Posted by dleo6446 View Post
    Sharpie makes a silver metallic paint pen in 3 or 4 different sizes. I use a Sharpie poster-paint metallic silver extra fine point to do exactly what you are talking about. put the rod together, put the dots on with the pen (shake it very very well, hold it perpendicular to the place where you want the dot and a light touch will do just fine), then apply a light coat of hard as nails over the top of it and you are good to go. If you are just building a rod, apply it directly to the blank if you like and epoxy over the top of it. Allow the silver 20 to 30 minutes to completely dry first.
    I love this suggestion! That is exactly what I was thinking would work, but wanted some kind of confirmation. The metalic paint idea is great as well. My newest rod has Silver trim on the wraps and a silver pen would work perfectly.

Thanks,
    Brian

I used a white paint pen to put alignment dots on my rods and then touch a little bit of polyurathane varnish over the dot. That was two very hard fishing years ago and they're still there.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by dleo6446 View Post
    This has always worked for me, and it lasts..

+ Reply to Thread