+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: partridge and yellow wet fly

Default partridge and yellow wet fly

seen this pattern and just got some natural partridge feathers. this is a size 12 wet/nymph hook.. I followed the recipe but instead of mole used olive/brown nymph dubbing and instead of silk used light yellow 6/0 thread. heres the recipe and the one I made. it really don't seem like much? fish like this? I made one so far and am gonna make more in olive thread and black thread bodies maybe even peacock body? love that peacock!!! lol. critique it and let me know whats wrong and I will make it better and make more.http://www.flyfishohio.com/Partidge_&_Yellow.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Fishi,

Your fly looks pretty good, except that it may be overhackled. With the Partridge and (insert color here) flies, they are very sparsely hackled. Yes, fish love those flies. I always have a selection of Partridge and (color) in my box in sizes from 8 to 18. Having some in green, orange and red, along with the yellow you should be set. Oops, forgot about the peacock herl body with a partridge hackle. That works well too.

REE

Very nice tie. I'll echo what REE said... less is more when it comes to this fly. One wrap around the hook is all that I use. My arsenal of this fly is similar to REE's. Very productive fly.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

This summer I was in a fly shop in Idaho, and the owner was tying these as fast as he could put them out for his guides on the upper Columbia river, and he was just using Light Cahill thread and a couple of turns of peacock for a thorax. One thing that makes a nice appearance is to strip off the fibers on one side of the hackle, then wrap that side next to the hook, it "sparsens" the appearance. This is only practical for the larger feathers, though, as the stems get too flimsy to do it on smaller feathers.

Fishaholic -

Yep - these can be deadly in the right situation, in a variety of colors and sizes.

Nice tie. I agree with those who have commented that it, perhaps, has more hackle than some fish would like. I tie mine with a bit shorter hackle, but some might think it too short.

Hope you get a chance to try it soon, and have success with it.

John
    The fish are always right.

Probably a little heavy on the hackle ... isn't the "correct" number 17? The fish won't mind, I certainly don't, it's a great fly!! Don't forget the blue!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Hackle wrap.

Where it written that the hackle on a soft hackle fly has to be sparse?
    I tie hundreds for a local fly shop and I use 2 1/2 wraps and customers tell me have a 100 fish day using my flies.

Just because that's the way you tye them doesn't mean it is in the traditional North Country way for tying spiders.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thumbs up

Fish those actually look pretty good for your first try. Try making the head just a little bit smaller, and the body a little shorter. Using a smaller thread like 8/0 will help the head. The length of hackle is more your preference. I do think a sparce hackle helps the fly sink faster, and after all they are insects and only have six legs. Here is one tied the way I like them click on the photo after it comes up for a closer look

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...g?t=1204135874
    Last edited by Taz; 02-27-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Tye one using silk, wet them both, and the colors won't even be close. Silk let's the hook color bleed through making the yellow turn a mahogony brown. Still it'll take fish. The translucence of silk makes those flies a lot different wet than dry.

+ Reply to Thread