+ Reply to Thread

Thread: materials for free

jcntheriver Guest

Default materials for free

hunt, taxidermy shop, furrier, they throw away a lot of fur pieces that are good for tying. A zoo ask the zoo keeper for feathers from parrots, or go to a pet store where they sell parrot. Macaw parrot tails 30.00 in the fly shop, Free at the pet store. Don`t forget Road Kill. Chicken feathers got to a poultry market where they have live chickens.

Jeff
    Last edited by Ron Eagle Elk; 02-27-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Hmmm thinking about getting an ocelot , bigger prey. lol
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Be nice to others.

Many, many times over the years I've met folks in odd places that have provided me with tying materials.

Helped a nice woman at a craft show set upo her canopy-her husband had to work that day. When he showed up on Saturday, we began talking-he was an amature taxidermist-brougth me some 'scraps'-four hefty bags full of already preserved or tanned deer, elk, bear, ram, javalina, moose, cougar, four really nice partridge skins, three pheasant skins, and some really neat long wispish white fur that I have no legal clue whence it came but looks awesome on streamers....I'll never run out of this stuff...

Ran into a fellow at a fly shop. He was in looking for flies that the shop didn't have. I did. I gave him a couple of dozen for a trip he was planning. This winter a package arrives with four wood duck skins and two mallards. Seems he was a hunter and since he knew I tied flies, thought I could 'use' them...

Helped an older neighbor move. She gave me a couple of old fur coats....

Bread on the waters...

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

cardinal hen hackle
    Guys and gals check your local game and wildlife laws carefully. Some (most) songbirds are protected and, even if your cat drug the carcas in, it's against the law to have their feathers and hide in your possession. You're not likely to get caught, but it is a possibility.

Be very careful about raptor (birds of prey) and vulture feathers. Those could land you in the local county free hotel (jail) or with a very stiff fine.

Just a thought for the day.

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread